What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

A first time bloomer in the GH, Bulbo macraei

JB_OrchidGuy

Cardiac Nurse
This was deflasked in Jan of 05 before a compot was sent to me. This is the first time blooming for any of the plants in compot sent to me.

CopyofOrchids9-9-085.jpg
CopyofOrchids9-9-083.jpg

CopyofOrchids9-9-084.jpg
CopyofOrchids9-9-087.jpg

CopyofOrchids9-9-088.jpg

I just love these small bulbo species!! This plant is in a 3 inch pot. I did not stick my nose to it to see if it smelled. I forgot to.

Thanks for posting those pictures; the flowers look really good. The one I got from you has some new growth starting and it looks like a flower spike.

Those are very neat! I've never seen orchids like that :)

Dave what was the one I sent you?? I don't remember. Was it a macraei? This is the second one to actually start a flower spike. The first one has thrown up two flower spikes and is working on its third but they always blasted. I thought they just flowered really quick and I missed it until I saw this one yesterday. I wanted to hurry and get pictured before they faded so I took some today. I have the other macraei mounted to the outside of a clay pot and it might be drying out to much to why it blasted it spikes. I need to do some work to it and get a pump on it to keep it wet. Bulbos like to stay damp.

Yes, it is a B. macraei from you and the label has deflasked 01/05 on it. I have it in my lowland chamber at work and I just checked the label. I have it warm, very humid and wet and it is growing in a small basket pot of primarily LFS, under lights.

Sounds like a winner to me. Mine are in a mix of treefern and LFS and dry out because I watrer every other day, but I water the crap out of them when I water because bulbos take a lot to rewet the roots from what I hear. So your should be doing great. I like this little guy so I am glad to hear that yours might be flowering too! Woo hoo! I look forward to seeing pictures Dave.

So yeah these were deflasked in Jan of 05 meaning they were already about a year old in 05. They stay in flask about a year. So these plants are about 3-4 years old already. That is about average age from seed to bloom, there are some that take 7 years till first bloom. Paph Rothchildianum comes to mind. You can get a phal to bloom in about 2 years I think and that is why they are sold as pot plants routinely.

I look forward to seeing pictures Dave!! Provided the spike does not blast. I will keep my fingers crossed!

Inquiring minds want to know about the fragrance. A Bulbo flower's appearance is only half of the story. If you're lucky, it won't be any worse than moldy socks or mildewed towels. I read a description once that said the one species' flowers smelled a little like rotten tuna, only worse. Blecchhh...

I do have one that smells like fish slime when you put your nose to it. I have bulbo phal that smells ti high hell, but it is not blooming size yet though. I will see if it is still blooming tomorrow and see if it smells for ya Bruce.

Well, I went out to the Gh last night and the flowers have already faded, but I have others that are starting spikes too!! So not only will I get to see if there is any variation in the flowers. I just looked it up and it says macraei does not to have a scent on the photo encyclopedia.

I also have a Bulbophyllum careyanum in spike too. I bet that one smells funky. The photo encyclopedia says it has a scent.

Back