What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Corallorhiza maculata var. occidentalis in the wild

went for a walk and found these beauties in the woods behind my house
sorry its a cruddy cellphone shot of it, ill go back sometime this weekend and get a better shot with my camera.
Anyway this is my first encounter with a wild orchid in this state.
orchid.jpg

Wow, nice. I think I've come across those in the past without it ever clicking that they were orchids.
~Joe

Haha i saw it when i was coming up a hill
i was like wow that flower stalker reminds me of.....HEY ITS AN ORCHID, just the tongue was enough to set me in the direction i was hoping for....If you read the description of this species, it has no base leaves at all....very strange plant, but pretty. Hope i start to find other native orchid species from the state here soon. This was the first of many im sure.
Ive looked for this plant for sale on line, sadly, though its common, its near impossible to grow because it is mycotrophic.
http://www.sarracenia.com/faq/faq5980.html

Very cool. Your part of the world has some great native orchids. I'd love to stumble upon a Cyp. montanum.

Very cool! I wish they weren't parasitic or fungal symbiots or whatever so they could be grown in cultivation, of course most of the time it's an empty pot. There's a number of these type of "non-cultivatable" orchids that are weird and cool looking. There are some that look like coral or sea sponges sticking out of the ground. I've never found any orchids in the wild myself.

My uncle once found a blooming Cypripedium arietinum (ram's head lady slipper) on a walk in an area due to be developed but he was too chicken to rescue it.

Now that's pretty durn awesome!

Went out yesterday on a little hike to check on these fellas...to my pleasant surprise, i found a few new populations starting up, redoubtably from when my fiance pricked up a couple of the dead stocks and waved them around claiming they were fairy wands lol....(all in the same vicinity so nothing wrong with that)

so we went out yesterday, several populations in a little area on a hill, gorgeous red stocks which look a lot like asparagus right now just sticking 6-12" out of the ground, one plant already about to bloom....
made sure to watch our step since with these plants in particular, any compacting of their soil can mean death....
I will go back in a few weeks to get photos of this years batch of flowers...this place has become my favorite local spot here in our city, and saddens me quite a bit to see more and more logging and construction only 50 or so yards away from this population of orchids...

I could point you to a location where you should be able to see Calypso bulbosa flowering right about now :)

definitely would be interested in that :eek: one of my favorite native orchids, so beautiful

Awesome! Swords just look lonline. Most of the native orchids are being cultivated. They are jsut in small quantities now and hard to get.
Kris those are stunning and love when I see picture. Good catch.

Another orchid native to Washington

Wow Kris that is a beautiful plant. I've never seen that kind before.

Back