What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Oeceoclades maculata...

Hello Friends,

Here's a few shots of one of my favorite Fl. native orchids, Oeceoclades maculata.

The leaf patterns and lightly-scented flowers are truly magnificent and it grows very well in dead sphagnum moss.

Happy Growing!

Brian.

638320998_ErmZG-X2.jpg

638321015_GbCHT-X2.jpg

Here's a shot with flash, to highlight the leaf patterns a bit...
638321033_7naDg-X2.jpg

wow, very nice orchid. Very very nice. the patterns on it's leaves are also very interesting, and cool flowers.

wow very nice, reminds me of the corallorhiza maculata sp. that ive seen around here alot, only with leaves lol and possible to grow in cultivation...i wish the corallorhiza species were able to be grown in cultivation :| but its one of the mycotrophic orchids...
here is a link to the thread
http://terraforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=118367
corallhoriza maculata var. occidentalis
WashingtonOutdoorsendofspring012.jpg

Very nice Brian. Do you grow it like a typical temperate CP or is it more on the subtropical - tropical side?

Thanks for the compliments everyone! :banana2:

Oeceoclades is semi-tropical in nature, but I have had it near freezing for very short periods.

Kristoff, those Corallorhiza are lovely! Good luck wishing for leaves...:-O
Here in Fl, we have a smaller species known as Corallorhiza odontorhiza which is a much smaller form than the one you have up your way...

Ours bloom here in August through October as well...

Happy Growing,

Brian.

A cool thing about that species is that its native range runs from Africa to South America across the islands to Florida. I thought about getting one a few times back in my orchid growing days because of the leaves more than the blooms.

Lovely plant!! May have to think about adding one to the collection!!

Back