What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

what kind of orchids?

thez_yo

instigator
The closest to finding what species this is that I could come to is that I saw some pictures of Epidendrum secundum that someone found on their travels and this sort of looks like them, which would be way cool.

Anyways, presenting my latest find from Home Depot:

PA230004.jpg

PA230005.jpg

PA230006.jpg

and then one of the leaves...it's the two guys front and center:

PA230001.jpg

Anyone tell me how they take care of theirs? Mine are in orchid bark from the looks of it.

They're reed stem Epidendrums and Epi secundum is one species, but there are others, plus hybrids. So you can't know specifically what you bought. As I understand it, people in SoCal and SoFL can grow them in the ground and they are popular landscape plants. I never grew them here because of space limitations. My favorite is Epidendrum pseudepidendrum and, although I was often tempted, I never got one. Here's one source of info - http://www.orchidmall.com/general/epi_art.htm.

Oh cool, thanks!

And it's good to know that they're not painfully difficult to grow either because I thought I had just bought something that I'd kill in a week...instead they get to be a permanent fixture in my livingroom orchid garden :-D.

I grow mine in LFSM and let them dry out a bit between waterings.

I have no idea, but they are pretty!

oops...there was an orchid show and I bought more flowers :blush:

encyclia cochleata
PA240001.jpg

cattleya
PA240002.jpg

cattleya
PA240003.jpg

Back