What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hardy U.S. native bog orchids

Does anyone here work with any of the native bog orchids ? Particulary Platanthera ciliaris, P.grandiflora, P.peramoena, P.psycodes and, Arethusa bulbosa ?

-Johnny

I have some Platanthera ciliaris plants and highly recommend it. It looks pretty ordinary from a distance, but the flowers are very intricate up close and have a nice Creamsicle color. It's native range runs from Texas to Canada, so it can put up with just about anything.

2972i.jpg

Do you know where can I buy some ? I already have P.cristata and P.blephariglottis in 2 of my bogs and would love to add some other species. It seems that very few people sell any of these and the ones that advertise them are apparently perpetually "out of stock".

Your guess is as good as mine when it comes to finding legal commercial sources. I started with two plants that came in a trade from a native plant grower in Arkansas. I wanted to boost the number in circulation and sent seed to the Meyers Conservancy a few years ago, but the net result was one plant. As I understand it, the usual orchid flasking techniques don't work well with our native terrestrials and much of the effort at developing better techniques has focused on the showier slipper orchids. I'll have to try again. Where did you get your Platantheras and how many of each do you have?

Meadowview Biological Research is a non profit pitcher plant conservation group. They sell a few different kinds of orchids to raise money for conservation!

Your guess is as good as mine when it comes to finding legal commercial sources. I started with two plants that came in a trade from a native plant grower in Arkansas. I wanted to boost the number in circulation and sent seed to the Meyers Conservancy a few years ago, but the net result was one plant. As I understand it, the usual orchid flasking techniques don't work well with our native terrestrials and much of the effort at developing better techniques has focused on the showier slipper orchids. I'll have to try again. Where did you get your Platantheras and how many of each do you have?
I got mine from 2 different sources on a well known "auction site" over the last year. I have 5 P.blephariglottis and 4 P.cristata. I've heard that they do well after a burn. Maybe the seed prefers smoke or high heat in order to germinate. I believe some Byblis species are like that.

---------- Post added at 12:58 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:56 AM ----------

Meadowview Biological Research is a non profit pitcher plant conservation group. They sell a few different kinds of orchids to raise money for conservation!
I've checked them out, but they don't have anything that I don't at the moment. Maybe in the spring.

Back