What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

not flowering

i bout my wife a Orchid last year and it has not flowered agean from the first time it had flowered when i bout it. i dont know much about orchids so any ideas woud be great.

Well being as there's only about 30,000 species we'll need to know what kind it is before we can give specific help! LOL Some need warm humid temps and others need cool humid temps to trigger flowering. Post a picture of the plant (and bloom if possible) and we'll try to go from there.

Just a hunch, did the plant look like these:

PHALAENOPSIS.gif

(stock photo)

yes it look just like that i just took a pic put i dont know how to post it.

Genus: Phalenopsis.

In order to make the plants flower, they need a temperature drop (about 50 degrees at night) for about a month. It also helps if you give your nep a good folliar fertilizer every week or so.

Phalaenopsis are actually an intermediate/warm growing genus:

Care page from my local orchid shop (due to TF rules ignore all other pages but the care pages ;) )

http://www.orchidweb.com/phalcare.aspx

One can force flowers by exposing to cold so plants can be ready for an orchid show or what not but they will bloom when they want to (if they're happy). If it's in potting soil/peat get it out and put it into orchid bark and / or LFS ("orchid moss" at Lowes) before the roots suffocate.

ok thanks guys your advice has helped a lot.

Back