What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New orchids!

Lil Stinkpot

Lucky Greenhorn
I went to an orchid show today, knowing full-well that my checkbook will be floating beside me when I'm done.

Here they are:

Dendrobium violacea:
013-1.jpg

Unk. volunteer for $12:
018.jpg

It's in spike, too!

Dendrobium (I forgot), little spike hiding under a leaf:
015.jpg

I just LOVE that flat cane!
016-1.jpg

And the best last, Dendrobium obtusepalum:
012.jpg

025.jpg

024-1.jpg

OOOoooh, pretty!! Sweet find - my poor pocketbook gets demolished at plant shows :blush:

Cool finds! My only gripe with Dendrobiums is on the drier dormancy species. I always kill 'em by letting them go too dry and forgetting to water AT ALL or I keep 'em too wet at the wrong time and they rot.

I'm hitting the 2010 MN Orchid Show in the morning. At the end of the show is the vendor booths, I'm like a sprinter at the starting line by the time I reach the sales area. :D

At the end of the show is the vendor booths, I'm like a sprinter at the starting line by the time I reach the sales area.

Me too! I'd hit the vendors, then go back and see the show-offs. Then I'd go back to the vendors to see if they have some of what I just saw.

I am having some troubles with the Dendrobiums, but I hope to have them solved very soon. ;)

I screwed up today and think I would up with one who needs a drier winter, though the guy said spray twice a week in winter so that's still enough to keep me watering it and not forget about it. Dockrillia aberrans (formerly Dendrobium). Blooming now and for a tiny 3/4" flower it really does stink - like a hot rubber Halloween mask or something! LOL

Yup, some orchids stink. Have you ever been in a hot room full of the tiny little highly fragranced "twinkle" Oncidiums? That many together, they STINK!

Oh, and Sarracenia alata green smells like cat urine, while we're on the subject of stanky flowers. ;) I was "trapped" in a room with one plant, maybe about 12-20 flowers, and I nearly died. Now I have one LOL! :lol:

The unknown looks like a Tolumnia. It's a Caribbean genus and was one of my favorites when I was seriously into orchids

Nice orchids.
I might buy another after I do some research since I know nothing about them.

Some grow like Neps, but with less water.

I have another mystery Paph that's blooming! I gotta get a good picture soon.

I got more pictures!

Dory bought me one I pointed out at the grocery store. It was a total rip-off, in a deadly pot, but I love it anyways. As soon as the bloom finishes, it's getting a new REAL pot! I have to water it by filling the bowl, then holding my fingers over the soil and letting it drain completely. I pointed it out for the really nifty flower and the beautiful leaves. That flower has more warts than sepals.

017-3.jpg

018-1.jpg

020-2.jpg

The other is a mystery Paph (I think) I found out of bloom at Trader Joes, a good place to find decent orchids without breaking the bank. It has branches, and multiple buds. It's blooming!!! Now, What is it??

014-1.jpg

024-2.jpg

021-1.jpg

It has branches, something I haven't seen in a Paph before.

016-2.jpg

Cool images!

Some of Paphs do branch. If I hadn't just boxed up all my plant books last night and hauled em out to the garage while I start my remodeling I could look up the twin volumes of the Genus Papheiopedilum and see if we can't at least take a wild stab at narrowing down one of the parents on the pink one. I'm making a wager that Paph. liemianum is at least one of the parents, check the blooms on google, quite similar.Google: Paph liemianum

If they didn't come marked as a species then they're most likely some hybrid and then it's "good luck solving this one Sherlock"! Especially that purple one. I've seen tables of these at my aunts garden center job all marked with different hybrid names but they looked 99% similar to me!

Holy bejeezus those are some of the most amazing looking orchids I've ever seen!

Very nice.
I'm thinking of getting a Paph for my next orchid.

I know it's gonna be some super-complex hybrid, especially since you can't clone Paphs yet (or so I heard).

But it IS one sharp looking plant, isn't it?

I dunno, they do have Paph TC medium recipes but this may just be for seed starting and growing on, perhaps they just can't actually make them replicate in TC? Or maybe they tried and a branching Paph is the result?

Years ago I got an N. rajah which was supposed to be seed grown but I suspect it was actually TC because at 4" diameter it started throwing off pups/basals and did so for a few years. By the time it got large it quit doing that and reverted to normal growth but I think I removed about 8 -10 basals off that one plant before it hit a foot in diameter.

I have some doing that. One is KNOW is seed grown and is only 3 inches around, and is already making a basal.

Dang weird plants! LOL

I wonder what causes them to offset so young...

Back