What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

wild orchids in my backyard....?

Hello everyone, we have some extra property behind our fence and it's a woodish area. There are a couple of interesting plants, that to me, look like hard orchids. But I don't know the first thing about hardy/wild orchids.

The plants don't have any flowers, and they don't look to healthy actually...

They're growing upright... that's all I can say. :p

here are some pics of the ones I found.

009.JPG

011.JPG

012.JPG

017.JPG

and here is where I found two of them:

014.JPG

Thanks for looking! Hopefully someone will identify it for me!

Those look like Blue Wandering Jews to me.

Looks like something in the Polygonatum family to me.

well everyone, it turns out all of them were demolished by my family while doing yard work. :p

BUT, I found a single plant under a fur tree in my backyard... exact same thing, but this time....

IN FLOWER. :-D

073.JPG

098.JPG

099.JPG

certainly looks like an orchid to me...

by the way, sorry for the blurry pics. under the tree is dark and I can't keep a camera still for my life. :p

---------- Post added at 06:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:00 PM ----------

I figured out that the orchid is Epipactis helleborine.

I think that's an orchid, Epipactis helleborine, that a few people (not from Terraforums) have offered to trade me over the years. It's actually considered somewhat invasive.

edit: oops, I had missed the extra line in your post and see you had already figured it out.

ahahahha yeah, I got it figured out.

It must be pretty invasive if it's growing in my backyard under a fur tree, most of the soil in my yard isn't that good...

so would I be able to dig it up and just put it in one of the gardens for fun?

ahahahha yeah, I got it figured out.

It must be pretty invasive if it's growing in my backyard under a fur tree, most of the soil in my yard isn't that good...

so would I be able to dig it up and just put it in one of the gardens for fun?

I think so. But I think the p.bulb is deep in the soil. It would takes you awhile to dig it up. Make sure to keep lots of it original soil.

Back