What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Phalaenopsis Help.. Please

I'm trying to get a little help for this plant that is actually my moms. She asked me for help but I only have experience with CPs and have never grown an orchid. So here are the facts that I have so far. It initially had flowers on it when she received it as a gift two years ago and has not flowered since or given off any new spikes. It had grown new leaves though. I have looked at some of the care sheets on the web and moved it to the bathroom by a window to provide better humidity and air circulation. I also repotted the plant (3/5 fine orchid bark, 1/5 perlite, 1/5 LFS)since she had not since receiving it. So that brings us up to speed. What else can I do to improve the health of the plant and get it to flower?

IMG_0602.jpg

IMG_0601.jpg

IMG_0600.jpg

What types of CPs do you have?
I usually grow my Phals with my neps, if that is any help.
It will rebloom when it is ready. Usually a little earlier than a year after it's last bloom.

It looks like it needs more light, those dark green leaves are a give away and that position on the counter looks far from the window. also phals respond well to a nighttime drop in temps to initiate spiking.

I do have a couple Neps but mainly sundews and sarrs I would grow it with my CPs but this is at my parents house.. but it does give me a better idea to the needs of the plant thanks.

Chibae so if I move it to the window sill should I keep it on the frosted side of the glass or move it into the sunlight. I live in Sacramento Ca so the sun is kind of intense and i'm worried of it getting burned.

I'd say frosted side, they burn easily, maybe Thez will chime in, she raises phals in CA

Al lin all it looks pretty good to me. I would put it up in the window and let it get a bit more light. All of my phals bloom around christmas for some weird reason. Just keep watering it and give it good light, it will bloom again.

Yeah, don't put it in straight-up sunshine...I had some phals on the west side window of my house that sat in sunshine for a good 4 hours of the afternoon, and their leaves got burned so bad they had bubbles on them like seared flesh. Put it by the frosted side for a while...if you still don't get spikes, make sure you're giving it a temp drop at night...if still no spike and the leaves look not-burnt, move it to a little higher light.

Thank everyone for the advice.. I will let you know when it finally does spike for me.

The plant is a bit on the dark side, suggesting it isn't getting enough light, but it otherwise looks to be in perfect health. Exposure to cooler fall temperatures is commonly mentioned as triggering a Phal to bloom, but it's clear that some Phals don't need it because they bloom without it. Maybe that Phal needs the cooling. I don't grow indoor orchids anymore, but I used to and had a number of Phals over the years. Living in a more humid climate than you, I was able to leave them outside through the summer and into fall, which exposed the Phals to significantly lower temperatures. They were reliable bloomers, so my advice is to find a way to expose that plant to a fall cooling. Hopefully, other people who grow Phals in a climate more like yours will chime in with advice you can use.

Back