What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Who has Masdevallia veitchiiana?

Someone here (Exo perhaps?) recently got a Masdevallia veitchiana in spike IIRC and I was wondering if you could show it and tell me what your measurements are on it, longest leaves, flower stalk height, etc.

Even if you're not the person who just got one, if you have this plant I'm interested to hear from you!

I just ordered a Masd. veitchiana "Sol" (not here yet) I can't wait to get some blooms on it.

According to some sources the spikes are 39-44 cms and the blooms roughly 7cm x 15 cm. Gorgeous plant but bigger than I can handle right now. good luck with it.

Yeah, it's a biggie! It's going to be a background plant since it's a terrestrial Masd. I'm hoping it will do well in a drained cypress mulch and LFS substrate in the 55 gallon HL display vivarium I'm going to be setting up.

You rang? ;)

Masdevallia veitchiiana gets to be about 14in tall with flower stalks of about 2ft, the blooms are typically 6-8in long (from top to bottom)

My plant seems to do well in LFS/lava rock and a net pot, temps are 75F day and 65F night with about 80% humidity and lots of airflow. I have the plant in the corner of my HL chamber, out of direct light.

masdie.jpg

Masdevallia veitchiana 'Prince de Gaulle' AM/AOS

Thanks for popping in!
I have seen lava rock mentioned a few times and I would like to get some to blend in a few places in the tank for specific planting areas, but all I can find are pretty big chunks (large orchid bark to charcoal briquette sized) and I have heard that the red lava rock is bad for some reason but I've never found black lava rock anywhere.

I have heard that the red lava rock is bad for some reason but I've never found black lava rock anywhere.

I use the red for everything from orchids to nepenthes with no issue at all....actually, my neps in red lava rock seem to grow better than ones without.

How do you break it down to proper sizes? Do you just use it large or where do your acquire yours at?

how do you break it down to proper sizes? Do you just use it large or where do your acquire yours at?

hammer time!

I was hoping there was a different solution! LOL

Back