What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Orchid Suggestions

I'm interested in growing some orchids. My problem is that I would prefer to not keep it in a terrarium. The humidity here is severely lacking though. Usually about 20% indoors...Any suggestions?

How about succulents? LOL

Seriously my house is 20% RH most "neat stuff" has to be in a terrarium. I can grow Ficus benjamina, Fiddle leaf ficus, Maranta sp. and various succulents outside a tank.

Last edited by a moderator:
I might be willing to get something for the terrarium if it's small and cheap.

Please describe the terra's climate and your definition of small and cheap. Then we can help.

...Any suggestions?
My suggestion (it's what I do), get a humidifier and run it in the room with the plants, especially right next to the plants, so they get the most benefit from it.

Terrarium is 80* day 60-65* nights. Humidity around 80% most of the time. In front of a south facing window, as well as having fluorescent lighting.

Household humidity isn't an issue. I grow many orchids. Almost as many as CP's. All of my orchid pots sit in a watering dish with river rocks on the bottom. You don't want your pot to sit in water, but rather above it. This will supply enough humidity. This method works best in a longer tray with multiple plants. I would recommend any Phalaenopsis orchids for beginners. Also Paphiopedilums. Paphs require less light than Phals. Water once to twice a week depending on how fast the soil feels dry. You do not want it to become completely dry, but feel dry to the touch. A dehydrated orchid is an unhappy orchid, so is an over watered orchid. To much water, roots rot, to little, roots dry out and die. Misting once in the morning is also a helpful idea. Do not water at night though, unlike highland neps, they will rot. Any bright windowsill will work great for lighting. Cooler night time temps are very beneficial, as is a specific orchid fertilizer weekly. Any questions feel free to ask. I never thought of growing orchids, until I got one for my mom for Easter, figuring one orchid would suffice for multiple Hiacinths. Well I very quickly inherited it. I find growing orchids almost more joyful than my neps.....almost. :-D

Back