What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

so you think you know orchids?

• Thread starter amphirion
  • Start date
Very late to the party, but Mobile's reply CRACKED ME UP. LOL!!

The problem is you need them to be in flower for proper ID. I can give you genera but not individual species due to the fact so many look similar till they flower.

---------- Post added at 02:29 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:23 PM ----------

Alot of bulbos and plurathalids there!!! I would Love to trade for some of those. Wow that picture just makes my mouth water.

1. Bulbo
3,4, Bulbo
5 looks like lealea
7 is a typr of Den or was till reclasified.
11. bulbo and many more are but got side tracked.
47 is a masdi

I am loving the variety and many I have not had access too. I would definatley be interested in trading in the future is any are of age to be devided. I am sure we can come up with a good deal to make both happy.

7 Dendrobium rigidum

11 Dendrobium jenkensii

33 Dendrobium lawesii

34 Dendrobium aggregatum

38 Stelis vulcanica

Afrodisa: oh so close! You got me excited because I thought you got some--- lol close enough.
7 Is actually D. cucumerinum and 34 is D. jenkinsii. 38 Is not a stelis as far as I know, could have been a stelis in the past but reassigned. It is a pleurothalid though. Are you a dendrobium buff? Nice. :)

Orchidguy: 3 is a close relative so I'll give it to you: cirrhopetalum tingabarnium.

If I recall correctly, I only have three in the bulbophyllum alliance. The majority of my orchids are dendrobiums as well as members in the pleurothallid alliance.

Couldn't see the bumps on the pickles in that small photo :>}.

Grew orchids for 40+ years til Isabel destroyed my greenhouse and most of my plants. I slowly shifted from "everything orchid" in the early 60's to species only over the years, the smaller the better . Ended up doing dends, pleuros, & bulbos mainly. Only have one orchid now, a Liparis plicata - it hangs in the kitchen window over the sink. Lots of pictures of plants I had but no heart or $$ left to rebuild the collection.

Am just getting back into carnivorous plants - at least they can be grown from seed in a year or so. Have sowed several dozen species of seeds in June - half of which have sprouted and are ready for potting up (seeds were in the fridge since 2004-2005 before the greenhouse went away). Drosera admirabilis seed actually sprouted in 10 days.

---------- Post added at 03:03 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:53 AM ----------

3 Bulbophyllum tingabarnium used to be cirrhopetalum tingabarnium moved in 1994
see http://www.orchidspecies.com/bulbtingabarinum.htm

Sorry to hear about the GH being lost.

Yeah I can tell alot of them are Small Dens, but most of them have been reclassified too if you check. Den Rigidum is no longer a Den. I have the same plant and it has since changed too. Cirrhopetalum went away for the most part too. There has been alot of reclassification over the years I cannot keep up. They moved Schicumberkia, many of them to new classifications. It is all a mess with so many different species. I love the small growing species and seriosuly would love to trade sometime.

I admitedly am not that good yet to look at them out of flower and tell species. I have two different edpidendrums ( I think that is what they are) both look identical out of flower but the flowers are totally different. Same growth habits and all. :)

JB regrettably I only have one orchid now and it's not big enough to divide. :>{

Really late to this party, but I was bored and up for a challenge :)

1. Den. prenticei
2. Den. violaceum
33. Den. dichaeoides (or some variation/ related species)
35. Trichosalpinx chameleopanthes
44. Den. laevifolium (looks to be an Oxyglossum species for sure)

33=epidendrum porpax

Last edited:
Back