What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Disa uniflora comes from south africa, and is commonly seen growing with Drosera capensis and other sundews in its natural habitat. They prefer purified water, but can tolerate a low dose of fertilizer.

In the wild, they are found growing in pure sphagnum, and in cultivation, a 60% sphagnum/40% perlite mix works well. I water them like cephalotus-they don't like having wet feet, but the medium cannot dry out either.

These terrestrial orchids are great companions with Darlingtonia, Cephalotus, and highland nepenthes. They love being kept on the cooler side, but are frost sensitive. Here's some photos for you to enjoy : http://www.flickr.com/photos/63000221@N05/sets/72157626949306893/

Disas are gorgeous. If you have the right cultural conditions for them they do very well very easily. However, they typically are very unforgiving of mistakes.

47510510.gif

I have seen a guy use a freezer to circ cold water over the roots. He seemed to grow them well. Be build a tray on top of a chest freezer then water would pump up from the bottom to the top every so often to cool and water the plants. That is about all I remember agout the setup, but he had some nice disas.

Let's reply to a dude who is banned.

Yeah!

I guess he could be lurking...

Ya know I never paid attention to that. Thanks for making me feel like an idiot Kirby. :p

Whoops! That was supposed to be a temp ban. I'm going to fix it right now... Wonder why it didn't work........

I've wanted one of these for a very long time now, but can never find a place that sells them. Its been a few years, maybe I'll have to go looking around the internet for them again...

I might get one of these when I do my highland terrarium. I know where to find them, too.

With the usual caveats (everyone's conditions are different, your results may vary, blah blah blah).

I grew my Disa exactly as I grew my Sarracenia (peat/sand, sitting in water, outdoors in Northern Virginia (read hot and humid summers)). It thrived during the growing season; I lost it when it froze one winter.

I baby my Darlingtonia, but I didn't find that my Disa needed the same treatment.

FWIW

Wow, very very pretty! I've got to try keeping one some time.

Back