What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New orchids

Got some new orchids this weekend thought id post some pics. Sorry if the quality sucks they were taken with my phone
Dracula
mluk27

Pleurothallis
mluk27

I got a masdevallia but theres not flowers on that right now
Heres everything in my whole set up
mluk27

WOW the setup looks great! One thing is the N. ampullaria may not appreciate the temps, generally they are happiest when hot and humid and all your orchids & helis are generally intermediate to HL cool growers but if it's been working so far leave it be.

Keep an eye on those black spots on that Dracula, they can become a real problem on the Pleurothallid Alliance orchids (which a number of yours are). I don't see black spot on any of the others so if you cut off any leaves from the dracula be SURE to sterilize the knife or shears in rubbing alcohol and flame before using that implement to cut anything else. Some people say black spot disease can be cured with certain preparations, I don't know what they are, any of my plants who got it did not hang around more than a year or so. BSD is the main reason I hesitate to order Pleurothallids by mail, I really wanna be able to inspect them thoroughly before purchase.

Thanks! Yeah the ampullaria has been kind of suspended in animation for the last few weeks it just put out that pitcher on the right that took FOREVER. I just dont really have any room for it anywhere else atm and its still slowly growing so ill let it be lol. Everythings seems pretty happy though for the most part.

Yeah everything is pretty healthy I went and picked all of these up and the Andy ( the owner) of the nursery hand picked all of these out for me through all the greenhouses. Should i just make sure they dont get any bigger?

In my experience with black spot it just seems to prematurely age the leaves, they yellow and die much sooner than they normally would and eventually the die off is faster than the new growth, that's how mine have expired anyway. The irritating thing is they still grow normally shaped leaves and bloom they just sorta can't keep up with the loss. I've tried my normal plant RXs of Hydrogen peroxide solution or a rubbing alcohol solution and it hasn't affected the BSD.

Sometimes the black spots on orchids is actually just a few specks of black surface fungus it wipes away simple enough with one of the solutions I mentioned. True BSD you can see through the leaves and doesn't wipe off. I've heard it rumored that Physan 20 would kill the true BSD and keep new leaves growing clean but I haven't ever used it to confirm this.

Basically whenever you trim any plants it's good to sterilize inbetween with at least rubbing alcohol, but especially with the Pleurothallid orchids since they have such an irritating propensity to get spotty. And of course they have to be my fave group of orchids... :lol:

Thanks for the tip swords :D hopefully everything turns out ok! I will definitely keep on eye and things and take action if I need to.. Im just excited for everything to bloom though! especially the masdavellias

Andy's is a dangerous site for me. Definitely unwise to peruse his site if my wallet is anywhere within reach.

Is that Drac lotax?

With many orchids, some black spotting seems inevitable. (Oncidiums like Sharry Baby very commonly get black spotting on their leaves.

Nice looking tank, btw. ;)

Haha Seriously.. its even more dangerous for your wallet when you visit there.. I ended up spending probably double what I wanted to.. Its a D. carderi. Thank you for the kind words :)

Swords I'm with you. Pluros and bulbos are my favs too. Technically the same alliance I know.

I try not to "window" shop either. Bad enough to see all the well grown plants here. My wallet cannot handle buying anything ATM.

Sir your tank is exactly what I am going for. Exactly what I want to do. Wow I would love to see more.

Thanks JB I just saw this post hah whoops I already posted again in your planted terrarium thread! If you have any questions shoot me a pm Ill help as much as I can its a rather simple setup

Very pretty blooms. The flower on the Drac is so unusual.

That setup looks great, do you have a misting system on that tank to be able to keep dracula orchids. I have always wanted to try them but the daily watering has always kept me away from them.

I used to have a repti fogger but it just took a dive on me yesterday.. so for now im misting several times a day and have it right on the drip wall

James, have you tried planting them in sphag? Depending on whether you're mounting or growing them in pots -- and your growing conditions, of course -- that might solve your problem.

Back