What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cypridedium pubescens help

Heli

villosaholic
I am planning to get one of these orchids soon and was wondering if anyone could help me out with a question. I am wondering if you can grow it on a north facing windowsill or under a flourescent light. Thanks!

They temperate and need a dormant period. It would also be more difficult getting the media composition and ph just right in a pot, let alone the micchorizal fungi they need

Yeah, there really picky. I was able to maintain this species for about two years before it eventually declined and died. They should be grown outside in shaded conditions, they really suffer indoors. My plants never got really established which is why I think I lost them. I also found that they really thrived when I planted them under a large white pine in my backyard, I guess the decaying needles helped maintain the soil PH.

Mike, are you talking about cypripedium pubescens? I have done some research and this seems to be the easiest cyp to grow and is fine with neutral ph. I just emailed one of the large cyp nurseries and they said it would be possible to grow it on a north facing window as it gets good indirect light and stays cool during the summer. As for the micchorizal fungi, I read that adult cyps dont actually need it to thrive and its only important for seedlings. Thanks for the tips, I'm gonna be doing some more research before I buy one.

I've been planning to get this species as well...and from what I'm reading, it is indeed the easist one. It's not as picky about soil PH as the others, and can tolerate lower soil moisture. It needs the symbiotic fungi as a young plant, but as you said, not when mature.

I say go for it, just be sure that it gets it's dormancy.

Yea im gonna give it a try, I found a flowering size plant for only 20 dollars so its not a huge investment. I will probably stick it in the fridge for winter. As for the soil It appears that it needs very good drainage and the nursery I contacted (can I name it if they dont sell cps?) carries a generic cyp mix that I will get.

Oh for $20 I'd definently give it a try! I paid over $65 for mine

Just ordered it! wish me luck :woot:

---------- Post added at 07:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:54 PM ----------

I think if I do well with the plant then I will try Cypripedium parviflorum var. parviflorum and Cypripedium reginae as well

I grow many of these and have for years. They can only be grown long term outside in specific shaded bog like conditions.

Back