What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mother's Day Orchids!

BioZest

zesty.
Happy Mother's Day! Say hi to your mom for me. lol.

This mother's day I got my mom an orchid. I have absolutely no idea what species it is or how to care for it and I was hoping you peeps could educate me.

Here are some pics:
DSC00910_zps11fcec9a.jpg

(i couldn't get it to rotate)

It is packed in this weird substrate. Is this good?
DSC00912_zpsdeb8383d.jpg

DSC00911_zpsd8d8eb04.jpg

The flowers:
DSC00913_zps3e35b4fc.jpg

It is growing with these bromeliads:
DSC00914_zps736b1862.jpg

Is this good? Is it bad? Is it both?????:suspect:

I'm not very interested in finding out the species, just how to care for it.

thanks!!!!

That's a kaleidoscope phalaenopsis, the 2 red plants are guzmania lingulata. The substrate is tillandsia usneoides/Spanish moss which is more probably a topdressing. You can fill the guzmanias/bromeliads up with water where a sorta vase thingy is. In order to know how to water the orchid, you need to know what it's planted in: bark or lfs. If its in bark, the I would water it about 3 times a week. If it's in lfs, I would water it 1 times a week. Keep it in indirect light, direct light will BBQ the leaves. After flowers die, cut it off above a node or bump on the flower stem. I hoped this helped!
BTW: isn't Mother's Day 2morrow?

Oh since the bromeliads are in the same pot, it's okay. In the wild, they grow alongside each other:)

Thanks so much for this! I'll be sure to find out what substrate it is in. And yes mother's day is tomorrow, it was an early wish. mmm...BBQ...lol

TY

That's a kaleidoscope phalaenopsis, the 2 red plants are guzmania lingulata. The substrate is tillandsia usneoides/Spanish moss which is more probably a topdressing. You can fill the guzmanias/bromeliads up with water where a sorta vase thingy is. In order to know how to water the orchid, you need to know what it's planted in: bark or lfs. If its in bark, the I would water it about 3 times a week. If it's in lfs, I would water it 1 times a week. Keep it in indirect light, direct light will BBQ the leaves. After flowers die, cut it off above a node or bump on the flower stem. I hoped this helped!

A Phalanopsis? Yes, though that is genus not species. Definitely a hybrid though whether it is one of the Phal Baldwin Kaleidoscope is questionable -- there are a lot of similar hybrids out there.

Tillandsia usneoides, ID -- agreed. Also agree that it is most likely just a decorative top dressing.

Water and light regime for the broms -- agree with watering, would add bright indirect light.

Water and light regime for the Phal? Agree, in part. Bright indirect light. Direct early morning sun in your zone should not be a worry though direct midday sun would indeed be too much -- especially in the summer.

Water regime will definitely vary depending upon the media. Watering three times a week may be too much. You will have to see if all three plants are actually potted directly in the same pot or if it is actually three pots stuffed into one larger pot as well as checking out the type of media. Also check to make sure the pot has drainage holes. It will be easiest if the Phal is not actually in the same pot as the broms.

If they are all in one pot and if the media is bark, and if the pot has drainage holes, then at least for the time being watering a couple times a week should be okay provided the water is simply poured through to thoroughly wet the media and then the pot is allowed to drain completely. Personally, I'd recommend separating the Phal from the broms if they actually are all occupying the exact same pot.

If the pot has no drainage holes, get one that does.

If the plants are actually in sphagnum, I'd recommend repotting. Unless your mom is used to caring for plants in sphagnum, it could turn out to be very problematic.

Do not leave the Phal sitting in water or soggy media.

Nice plants you've got! I have a bunch of orchids and a dwarf pineapple plant (which IS a bromeliad :)).

I checked it out this morning, and the spanish moss is a top dressing, but the plants aren't growing in lfs or bark. It's growing in this:
DSC00916_zps43aac247.jpg

looks to me like regular potting soil :\. Will this be a problem?

That looks like old, rotten lfs... You should repot it in a coarse orchid fir bark and perlite mix:) I usually use gubbler brand for both orchids and cps, but there are other good brands as well. HOWEVER, stay AWAY from Miraclegrow orchid mix!!!

That garbage the plants are in will be a crap-tacular problem. The mental morons responsible should be shot. Repot ASAP. The BBSs. Like Lowes should carry a tolerable bark mix.

Back