What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Habenaria (Pecteilus) radiata

SubRosa

BS Bulldozer
Nice little surprise this morning! Sorry for the crappy phone pic.....

Attachments

• hr.jpg
    hr.jpg
    109.8 KB · Views: 48
Nice! Does this one stay outside through the winter?

It probably could temp wise, but it requires a dry winter rest which ain't happening around here. I'll bring it in to my garage when the foliage dies back, put it in the spot my Geissorhiza radians is in right now, and move the Geisso into the light and think about starting to watering it.

Nice John ! I lost my colony of these last winter.

Subrosa, what is your summer weather like? My plants are literally melting in the heat here.

Subrosa, what is your summer weather like? My plants are literally melting in the heat here.
Hot and humid, highs today in the low 90s with 85-90% humidit. We had a recent stretch of a week straight with temps over 90 with high humidity. Every once in a while a cold front rolls tthrough and drops the temp and humidity for a day or two, but it goes right back up.

Hope you don't mind.

This was taken a few years ago when I had a dalliance with the species.

3951176358_158a657100_o.jpg

Yeah that's what they look like! Thanks Fred!

They look like white birds in flight

Hence the name "Egret flower"

Hot and humid, highs today in the low 90s with 85-90% humidit. We had a recent stretch of a week straight with temps over 90 with high humidity. Every once in a while a cold front rolls tthrough and drops the temp and humidity for a day or two, but it goes right back up.

Thanks! My temperatures are similar but I am guessing that you do have decent night temperature drops. My plants are looking like highland Neps having heat stress...stunted and succulent-like growth. :-(

Oh, I forgot to ask...SubRosa, what media are you using for the plant?

I'm growing in a 50/50 mix of peat and sand, but next year I'll try perlite since I lost 2 others to rot. I guess we get about a 15-20 degree drop at night on average.

Yup, it's the hot nights. Mine are in the high 80s with the same RH....imagine them melting like all of us people here too... I can't sleep without the air conditioning. And the Mexican Pings are rotting. Wahh....

Bring the plants in at night. I do the in and out shuffle early and late in the season to avoid excessive cold on some plants, it would work to help them avoid excessive heat as well.

Back