What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Australian Terrestrial Orchids

The grower I got them from considers them only moderately difficult. I plan on growing them in a mix of peat, sand and eucalyptus leaves. I've read that many of these species are also highly dependant on fungi. I will be adding Trichoderma along with many species of mycorrhizae into the mix for these orchids. I'm not sure what effects (if any) the possible allelopathic tendencies of the eucalyptus leaves will have on the fungus but time will tell I guess.

Is there a mix that you recommend or prefer ?

200 different ones ?!?!? I sure hope you plan on posting some photos on here once they're up and flowering ! I think I speak for everyone when I say "I'd LOVE to see them !!!"

Johnny what are you using as a starter for the mycorrhiza? I planned on taking a bit of media from each of my other terrestrials and using that.

I'll be doing the same thing John. Shredding up some lfs that's already infused with the stuff in addition to adding Great White and some Trichoderma atroviride.

Last edited:
Where do you get the trich?

I actually have to buy some. I'll find out where Butch gets his.

Cool, lmk.

Great White seems to be a decent product and has several species of Trichoderma along with many other mycorrhizal fungi in it. Unfortunately, Trichoderma atroviride isn't one of them.

Last edited:
i've just received the same species as well as others from the same supplier. These have the tendency and reputation to slowly decline and very difficult to maintain. I'll be pleased if either of us are successful.

The type of substrate that I use incorporates the following. The proportions of each varies upon the species grow. I use this type of mix for my orchids only as the tuberous Drosera do not grow well in it. My tuberous Drosera are grown in the typical peat and sand mix.

Coarse sand
Fine sand
Loam
Eucalyptus mulch
Charcoal
Silky oak mulch
Composted eucalyptus bark
Pine bark
Trace elements and minerals
Casuarina (she oak) needles as a top dressing

I actually don't have many photos of my own plants but can take some this season. My main passion is photographing them in the wild.

I'll post a link shortly to a thread in another forum.

Thanks for the media advice. I've got most of that on the way. Luckily (for this anyway) Eucalyptus and Melaleuca are invasive in some parts of the US. These components along with regular doses of Trichoderma and mycorrhizae should put me on the right track with these species.

Gorgeous photos ! I love seeing them in the wild. The bizarre terrestrials are my favorite orchids and Australia definitely has the strangest of the strange !

A group of Pterostylis curta today.

16638789156_c4558bb926_o.jpg

Beautiful plants Fred ! Mine just arrived the other day.

I've also got my potting mix ready for the other species. It's a somewhat elaborate mix but it should provide the plants with their best chance of doing well.

Ingredients:

Coarse Silica Sand
Fine Sand
Turface
Peat
Alaskan Humus
Fir Bark Fines
Charcoal
Eucalyptus Leaves - Mulched
Melaleuca Leaves, Bark and Twigs - Mulched
Willow Oak Leaves - Mulched
Live Oak Leaves - Mulched
Blood and Bone Meal
Trichoderma atroviride
Great White Mycorrhizae ( 2 additional species of Trichoderma, 7 species of Ectomycorrhiza, 9 species of Endomycorrhiza and 14 species of Beneficial Bacteria)

Last edited:
Ah! Johnny, you bought the gourmet and epicure bulbs. :-D

Yeah, I got a few tricky ones Fred. Fingers crossed........

Sounds like a good substrate. I'd be using plenty of the coarse sand to keep it open.

It's very heavy on the course sand. I also forgot to add Turface to the above list but, there's plenty of that in there as well.

trich that butch uses from the link below.
sweet lady. ive called and chatted with her about how to use the product.

http://www.ampacbiotech.net/

trich that butch uses from the link below.
sweet lady. ive called and chatted with her about how to use the product.

http://www.ampacbiotech.net/

Yup. That's the stuff I got. I bought some of the flowable powder and the granular to try. Very helpful folks over there and the prices are very reasonable.

Although my camera can't currently capture the new growth, both my Thelymitra crinita and Diuris magnifica have broken dormancy and are starting to grow. But since they think it's fall instead of spring, a bit of trickery is in order to get them in sync with our seasons. Hopefully I can pull it off and get blooms this upcoming winter!

My T. crinita forms and D. magnifica have been up for about 3 weeks now. It will be interesting to compare the growth rates.

Back