What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Australian Terrestrial Orchids

Well, I've taken the leap into Australian Terrestrial Orchids ! I'm starting with tubers of 4 different species so I figured I'd start this thread right at the beginning........ with some photos of the tubers !

I'll post updates here as they come.

Caladenia flava

Diuris aff. corymbosa

Elythranthera emarginata

Thelymitra crinita

Very interesting where and how the various plants store the reserves for next season's growth.

Nice! Anxious to see how these grow.

I agree, all species seem to have a different yet similar strategy. Both Diuris species look nearly identical. I'm curious what different species in the other genera might look like.

Here's something to look forward to in the future Johnny.

I've been growing a few Pterostylis for a few years. For me they are hardy.

Pterostylis curta

4444972985_68a2336df5_o.jpg

4445746046_a4ecfb999e_o.jpg

4445746212_e6ab6b21e9_o.jpg

Last edited:
Pterostylis coccinea

3847691181_37e8295b76_o.jpg

3848487650_0f061d2180_o.jpg

3847696345_ae4fde10ca_o.jpg

9733227837_6170d20cb5_o.jpg

Beautiful plants Fred. P.coccinea is especially nice ! Hardy as in "you can grow them outside year round" hardy ?

Last edited:
Pterostylis fischii

10098328366_1681c4fd6d_o.jpg

Pterostylis truncata

4169359919_d1a85d7127_o.jpg

Fred would you happen to grow P. grandis?

Those bulbs are so strangely shaped....

Very cool! I hope they do well for you, I've wanted to try some of these genera but am holding out until I have a more controlled growing environment.

Nice Pterostylis, Fred! coccinea is especially pretty, not one I'd seen before.

Fred would you happen to grow P. grandis?

That would be a no.

A couple of extra photos I found.

A Pterostylis fischii double header.

15926669293_e5bd23f4af_o.jpg

As most think Pterostylis coccinea is the best a trio of them having a chat.

16359177418_ec7f13bc25_o.jpg

Again, gorgeous plants Fred !

Wow! I've never known anyone to grow Pterostylis, I've only ever seen them in orchid books! Amazing!

Gorgeous Pterostylis flowers! Cthulhu, I can't wait to see how these grow. When will they start to wake up? Are they summer growers?

They're just starting to wake up but they're fresh imports. They're still tuned in to Southern Hemisphere winters. They'll be acclimated in the same way I do my tuberous Drosera. They'll have a shortened growing season followed by a shortened dormancy. With any luck, I'll see flowers next winter.

Those bulbs are so strangely shaped....

Indeed. The Caladenia flava tuber looks like a sperm cell. All it needs is to start whipping that long strand like a flagellum.

Indeed. The Caladenia flava tuber looks like a sperm cell. All it needs is to start whipping that long strand like a flagellum.

Which when you consider the fact that the Caladenia prefers the driest conditions of the four makes perfect sense. Gotta get that food put away where it won't rot!

You've started your collection with some tricky species. The C. flava and the Elythranthera in particular are notoriously difficult to grow, even by the so-called expert growers down here.

Most growers here use rather elaborate substrates so it will be interesting to see how you go.

Currently I grow around 200 species\forms.

Back