What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Any orchids that would do well in either pure sphagnum or sphagnum and orchid bark out there? Temps are about 70-80 during the day in the summer, 57-65 at night. In the winter it's 48-55 at night, and 65 during the day. Not sure about humidity, but there are several trays of moss in the terrarium that keep it humid enough for nepenthes to pitcher even during the winter. Grow lights apparently count as shade as far as Nepenthes and sundews are concerned, seeing as a miranda is green instead of red, and several D. Adelae have their shade coloration, but if the lights matter they're Envirigrow 2000x8(x3 on one side) lumen florescent about two feet from the plants. For orchids, I was thinking some kind of Masdevallia. Let me know if you have recommendations, and setting up a shade cloth for them isn't out of the question. Mini orchids are preferred for space reasons.

The Oxyglossum section of the genus Dendrobium is mostly high altitude miniatures. D. cuthbertsonii, D. vexillarius, D. sulphureum, and D. violaceum are just a couple off the top of my head. Fwiw if you can keep it cool enough, D. cuthbertsonii will take full sun in many locations.

Last edited:
During the summer it gets hotter for a day or so at a time, but I can lower it with spray bottles full of cooler water and such.

I'm more worried about the winter to be honest, although heating it should be easier than cooling.

Back