What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Kokedama

I had a crack at a quasi-Kokedama for an Orchid.

This was made from binding orchid bark mix and LF moss together with cotton and a glue-gun. What I'm hoping is that the roots wrap around the structure - it should look quite attractive once it starts to flower.

DLB8kZlEHETuLCHW6XCFYA6Eb5i_mbIdykPhCWmIUHrnKH8mc9qH6qkGHInU8HXjUBxW1z9-V0FK52njnYw0kTgerH4FyNfKvM5IdhmYFBzeddVYJF121yyKM8kq0kg_AYL6bw-AaHK3wDIxOLhHsm1NOnh7emkPc0_jvwCo7zNnBFiuDDlwd8KPfN5vzk3W433foUyfY-k_4xFwtH04NiDhbidIrmJr2Z32nekJbWc4Z7OGSZYwbo5hVA34wIMAGVP5a8Ii1KHMY7mfJey-ybcB7QJaoGdQIR2CbHfk-pTtNfbwihwwZ9-u6zDbI_UHFNqpGFaDhzU2fyFYptY6UMSXoWjtimTamcZiMk3h--KmLGgDz4OoD8oqvLp5Im5W7mWx4eExfxAB6HLgd1gkYb8uBZKk1XOfkq6Bic3gjtj3EQ-MGMW7kJqPVuWMQQl3mlZD7aBesI91vn-VQ6oq-DYfUBZVdFrBQ8iqkNWmSwUeMBHNRLnelKLMGsgvlEROFlIkETK4CVsT10YAKWCevNevNByZPSFegwVsaBCZA0hd9V3OToT8zn9RIvOdhxwichVa=w907-h1209-no

This ought to be interesting. I predict that this thread will grow very long with time. May your orchid do great.

I'm hoping it mimics a natural environment and grows around it. We'll see.

Interesting take on what is by tradition a small round ball. I hope it does well for you. Please keep us updated on it's progress. The only issue for me as the need to glue the structure together. In effect it has become a solid mount. A traditional Kokedama is a compressed ball of soil with green moss growing around it to help keep it together once it has set and had a chance to grow

It's not what I was expecting. I was expecting a roundish mossy ball with an orchid attached to it. And maybe hanging from a string. Your version is... interesting. I kinda like it. The bowl seems a bit incongruous but I suppose I like the fact that it's clear. For watering purposes.

How have the roots done? Have you considered adding any live green moss? I love me some live moss. There's this one episode of Pokemon where moss goes out-of-control. Everything starts turning really green. It's pretty wonderful. I try and collect different varieties of moss. I'm hoping that my summer-"rain" moss will cross with my winter-rain moss.

Have you considered adding a Ficus seedling to the top? Then, over time, your kokedama would transform into a phorobana.

My favorite part about the photo is that it took me a few glances before I saw the cat. I like subtle photobombs.

I never noticed the cat until you mentioned it. I wouldn't mind seeing some updates.

cool but wheres the moss?! lol jk I guess you call it a kokedama, but if we're being literal kokedama translates to "ball of moss". So maybe kokedama inspired. I'm curios to see the progression, As I do think its an interesting and unique take on an orchid display.

Back