What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Orchid Identification

Does this look like an orchid to anybody? I found it growing in my backyard.

IMG_3309_zpslhj5vv5a.jpg

Last edited:
It might be easier if we could see the rest of the plant.

dr donut: That one is commonly called bleeding heart, Dicentra formosa. Because of the size and number of flowers on it I would guess it is a cultivar rather than the wild variety. This is not a member of the orchid family, though there is a resemblance.

Last edited:
That looks like my plant! Thanks for the help!

Bleeding hearts are pretty interesting plants. I found this one growing at my university in 2009.

HIny6Gd.jpg

WOW :0o: I see where they get the name.

I've never noticed before. I should take a few cuttings with mine.

Last edited:
Beautiful Dicentra you have there. Never seen one that particular color before. Personally, I find their foliage quite lovely as well.

Last edited:
The originally posted plant is the fernleaf bleeding heart, Dicentra eximia (could be Formosa but the flowers look different). It's rather different from the classic D. spectabilis most people are used to (with the big bushy plants, and large flowers of pink or white) in that it stays a lot smaller, flowers are more elongate and the petals covering the stamens and stigmas are a ruffled shape and red or pinkish rather than white.

Back