What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Why is it important to water Dendrochilum from the bottom rather than from overhead?

I just acquired a Dendrochilum (unknown species) division. I've been searching on google for care instructions and many sources say that Dendrochilum should be watered from the bottom, and not the top. Why is this? I know that some orchids are very sensitive to water in the leaf axils and are susceptible to crown rot. Does this vary with species?

If you have good air circulation, top watering should not be a problem.

Thanks DragonsEye, that's good to know. I'm trying to stimulate some root growth on this little division so it would make the most sense to water from the top, where the roots are.

I agree with DragonsEye. That's good advice for orchids. Though, my experience with one species has been different. I have a Dendrochilum wenzelii. It seems indifferent about how I water it as long as I give it some water once in a while. I water it from the top down. I keep it in an open gallon plastic bag, too, so not great air circulation. Though, I don't know if I just got lucky and have a really forgiving clone or if most Dendochilums are easy to grow.

Last edited:
Back