What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Recommendations for small-flowered orchid that can tolerate a little shade?

Everytime I see a bunch of orchids at the local orchid society meetings, I'm always drawn to the weird little small-flowered ones (flowers smaller than a US quarter or nickel). I don't know what many of them are, but a lot seem to be Restrepia and Pleurothallis. I did some research and it seems like many of these require cooler temps and some pretty high humidity, and need stricter conditions than I can reasonably provide. I am curious if anybody here can recommend some type of small-flowered orchid that can take a little shade but also is tolerant of temperature. It doesn't have to be any specific type...epiphytes or terrestrial...

My other orchids live outside from late April until late September (zone 6a/6b), then they are under fluorescent lights or on an east-facing window during winter. Indoor temps range from about 60 to 88 (we feel the seasons...).

Any suggestions?

Many Bulbophyllum have small flowers and are warm-growers. Most Restrepia and Pleurothallis would tolerate those temperatures well, as well as some small-flowered Masdevallias. Many of these genera can go up over 100 as long as they are kept wet and it doesn't last for more than a few days. They are very forgiving plants. I'd give any you like a try in your environment. I would also google Psychopsiella limminghei, although I'm not completely sure of its care.
P.S.
There is thousands of orchid species, and you could find a ton of plants matching your exact criteria. It just takes a bit of research.

Thanks Purpoh, glad to hear that some of those types can take some temperature variation. I'm still trying to get a handle on how forgiving some of these plants can be in regards to their preferred range. Question: When an epiphyte requires higher humidity, is this most important around the roots or also on the leaves where water is lost?

Back