What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pupoh's orchids

• Thread starter Purpoh
  • Start date
The first orchid I ever had

Nakamotoara Newberry Apricot by viper8stuff, on Flickr

Platanthera ciliaris by viper8stuff, on Flickr

This Masdie is slightly fragrant of honey

Masdevallia Machu Picchu by viper8stuff, on Flickr

Jumellea comorensis by viper8stuff, on Flickr

One of my parents' phals that we have had for 10+ years

NoID Phal by viper8stuff, on Flickr

And my first Disa orchid in spike! I have no idea how I've kept it alive. I'll post pictures as soon as it blooms.

Disa Sunset 'Serene Pink' by viper8stuff, on Flickr

Last edited:
Nice plants and flowers!

Wow, Platanthera ciliaris is amazing. How do you grow it? Is it from Great Lakes Orchids by any chance?

This is the first year that I've grown it so I haven't managed the dormancy yet, but it's been growing in my sunny windowsill in pure peat moss that never dries out, but doesn't sit in water. The temps are just normal house temps. I bought it as a packaged tuber at a normal grocery store which is pretty strange. I was surprised to see it.

This is the first year that I've grown it so I haven't managed the dormancy yet, but it's been growing in my sunny windowsill in pure peat moss that never dries out, but doesn't sit in water. The temps are just normal house temps. I bought it as a packaged tuber at a normal grocery store which is pretty strange. I was surprised to see it.

Ha! Serendipity at its best.

I haven’t done an update in a very long time, here’s some more orchid pictures:

Angraecum infundibulare, an absolute favorite. Smells exactly like jasmine. Notice the long spur containing nectar, pollinated by hawk moths.

e2544140e9e89b89d283ef875e0edb1f.jpg

6a72136405fcb3b8f193128ff6789bb9.jpg

Aerangis punctata, an absolutely fabulous super miniature species with a giant flower. Like the one above, it has a nice spur.

0edc6b610e1f7d942b602290d8f773b1.jpg

eaae5bd9b1b19134a34fac3528fd584a.jpg

Here’s an orchid from where I work, Some Cycnodes hybrid. Very fragrant of bananas.

48a236a519c9fb4888e0b967b37bd1ab.jpg

And last, just for fun, a jewel orchid leaf (Goodyera hispida) under a microscope.

a3c49e0fa0462828a4f6d7b55edc0bbd.jpg

I'm bowled over by the Angraecum infundibulare. If it looks like that and smells like jasmine it must be just amazing.

I'm bowled over by the Angraecum infundibulare. If it looks like that and smells like jasmine it must be just amazing.

It was really something. I wish I had put my hand in a picture for size comparison because it was 6+inches tall and maybe 2-3 wide

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bonjour

have you some seeds of your terrestrial orchids ?

may be some tuber ?

jeff

Last edited:
Bonjour

have you some seeds of your terrestrial orchids ?

may be some tuber ?

jeff

Sadly, no. I did not get a chance to pollinate them. Also, it only grew one tuber so I don't have any extras. Hopefully next year I can try again and it may make some offsets.

Bonjour

you grow the platanthera ciliaris outdoor ?

jeff

Bonjour

you grow the platanthera ciliaris outdoor ?

jeff

I grow it outdoors in a pot on my porch. It likes near full sun during the growing season, and I've been keeping just barely dry right now. I'm not sure if that is good conditions for dormancy but it is what I am trying. It is able to take below freezing temperatures.

Bonjour

know you if insect come ?

jeff

Back