What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Odd growth on Angraecum magdalenae

• Thread starter schmiggle
  • Start date
My Angraecum magdalenae, which has generally been growing quite happily, has recently grown this odd thing just above the second oldest leaf.
a magdalenae.jpg
At first I thought it was a spike, which would already be odd, because this specimen is very small to be producing spikes, and such a spike would probably be the result of stress. However, it doesn't look like a spike for this species, and spikes in A. magdalenae also seem to grow from the root mass rather than from between leaves. It has the color and texture of an aerial root, but I didn't think this species produced aerial roots, and certainly not roots between leaves. Any ideas?

Attachments

• 20171126_150600.jpg
    20171126_150600.jpg
    105.4 KB · Views: 113
Last edited:
I grow this orchid and it is a root. This plant does have a tendency to throw out roots like that, but they aren't really aerial as after curving up they tend to grow straight down and into the media.

Back