What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

.Pterostylis curta repotting question

• Thread starter chibae
  • Start date

chibae

An orchid fancier with a CP problem
I just purchased a pot of Pterostylis curta today. The pot has multiple plants in spike. I know that the ideal repotting time is Dec-Jan. The plants appear overcrowded and I was wondering if it would be safe to try and repot them now or at least as soon as flowering is over, or should I wait until they reemerge? I would like to store them in the pot during dormancy.

Thanks in advance
Chibae

I think you're pretty much guaranteed to lose the spikes if you repot now, so I would definitely wait at least until it finishes flowering if you want to see flowers this season. Otherwise I have no opinion.

Bonjour

here, I'm still waiting for the dormancy for a potting,it is also valid for many tuber orchids.

have you others terrestrials australian orchids ?

Definitely do not repot until the plants go completely dormant. Doing it before their leaves die back all the way can damage them. Also, Pterostylis are commonly grown clustered, and do so in nature.

Bonjour

here, I'm still waiting for the dormancy for a potting,it is also valid for many tuber orchids.

have you others terrestrials australian orchids ?
No, these are my first. My only others that come close are my native NA bog orchids and I just let them do their own thing out in the bog.

Definitely do not repot until the plants go completely dormant. Doing it before their leaves die back all the way can damage them. Also, Pterostylis are commonly grown clustered, and do so in nature.

Thank you. I will follow your advice.

I think you're pretty much guaranteed to lose the spikes if you repot now, so I would definitely wait at least until it finishes flowering if you want to see flowers this season. Otherwise I have no opinion.

Thanks for weighing in. I see that you live in Providence. Although I live further south now, I grew up in Cranston.

Thanks for weighing in. I see that you live in Providence. Although I live further south now, I grew up in Cranston.
Go figure! I'm actually from Boston, but I'm going to college here. I have not yet spent much time in Cranston, but I did get a pizza for essentially a dollar there :)

Definitely do not repot until the plants go completely dormant

I do not agree , when we ordering in the Australian nursery, we order tubers, not leaf plants.We are planting many dormant tubers.The repotting is done in the same way.

I always do it like that, and it works very well, on my 10 species

jeff

Last edited:
Definitely do not repot until the plants go completely dormant

I do not agree , when we ordering in the Australian nursery, we order tubers, not leaf plants.We are planting many dormant tubers.The repotting is done in the same way.

I always do it like that, and it works very well, on my 10 species

jeff

I am slightly confused. Are you saying to repot when they are tubers as opposed to once they go dormant? I had read to repot when they start to sprout after dormancy.

Bonjour

for me when they are in dormancy , in default, when it starts to germinate, in fact I proceed as for tuberous drosera .

jeff

Last edited:
Chib, while I have never grown these, my understanding is that you can repot once they go dormant .... ie. in their tuberous stage. You do not need to wait until the tubers begin to awaken. Doing so while full dormant does have the advantage of minimizing the likelihood of damaging a growth point or missing just when they start to grow and discovering you waited too long.

I grow 10 forms of P. curta and over 400 varieties of other Australian terrestrial orchids.

The best time to repot is always when the plants are fully dormant and before they begin to regrow.

Once the rosettes have died off in late spring, wait another few weeks until the stolons have also died and then you are ready to go.

Thank you all,

Thank you all, I now have a better understanding of how to handle these plants. Hopefully they will be the first of such plants I will be able to grow.

Chib

I think you'll find that they're a little more hardy than you expect too Chib. :bigthumpup:

Last edited:
Back