What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I caved....

• Thread starter hcarlton
  • Start date
It's pretty, is it two tones of pink or is the lighter a white?

Beautiful! I've seen the plants you keep. Phals will a snap.

Many orchids are quite durable ... phals tend to be quite easy for most folks. Just don't overwater.

In what media is yours potted?

It's light and dark purple, no pink present. Currently in a heavily aerated sphagnum mix (lots of perlite and charcoal) sitting in my greenhouse since it's the best space I've got for the moment. Won't have to water it for days.

Should do fine ... though it really doesn't need the greenhouse. Should you're greenhouse space become too congested, you can grow it on a windowsill.

Should do fine ... though it really doesn't need the greenhouse. Should you're greenhouse space become too congested, you can grow it on a windowsill.

The only reason it's in the greenhouse (which has long been crowded anyway) is I have no appropriate windowsill. The one in my room is already occupied and gets way too cold in winter, the living room one is occupied by the main greenhouse itself.

Well, the Phalaenopsis died...but the bug's still there. Been having some decent success with a Bulbophyllum woelfliae, about to possibly list a bunch of TC Miltonia spectabilis on my site because enough seem to be surviving acclimation (despite all the mold on the substrate that won't die...), Masdevallia veitchiana hasn't done a thing but at least hasn't died yet....and I picked up these:
Dendrobium kingianum by Hawken Carlton, on Flickr
Vanilla planifolia by Hawken Carlton, on Flickr

Honestly I'm shocked the phal died. Even my mom and sis have managed to keep theirs alive and my mom has rebloomed hers several times to her joy. Considering how well you do with so many different xps, I would have thought the phal would have been a cinch.

Love Masdevallia veitchiana but I will never try it. Can't meet its needs. While it, from what I've read, handle up to 80 by day with very good air movement, I can't provide the cool to chilly nights it desires (50s in the summer nights, 40's in the winter nights).

Woelfliae is a neat bulbo. Hope it does well for you.

What Dendrobium is that pictured?

Label should be in the Flickr picture caption, it's kingianum.
I'm pretty sure the Phalaenopsis died because the only place I really had for it was the greenhouse, too humid (and succumbed to my tendency for too much attention much like most of my succulent attempts). Even my mother has one blooming away at her workplace. And I apparently spoke too soon, there's some sort of green new growth appearing on the veitchiana; everything I read suggests it's an easier species, more tolerant of warmer and dimmer conditions than others in the genus, but it is sitting practically on the floor where it's coldest (near a pot of attempted D. arcturi of which one or two seem to actually be doing okay).

Didn't notice the den name. Thanks for telling me the name. :)

Hmm, should you try a phal again, perhaps try mounting it. Phals typically do very well with humid conditions but, if in a pot, having high humidity might prevent the media from drying out fast enough.

I'm a newbie to carnivores but have had D. Kingianum for years. They are one of the easiest to grow and are very tolerant to a range of conditions. They need some sun, to not stay wet and some air movement. Mine are in a combo of bark chips, lava rock and big perlite. I dont have time for much reporting so dont use stuff that breaks down fast. They need good drainage. They like being crowded in the pot. They will form new pups at the top of the stalks you have, usually after they have flowered. In nature, eventually these new pups will fall off to make new plants. I remove some after they form their own roots and plant them in the same pot or a new one. Eventually the old stalk will die. Here in zone 10, with decent humidity, I have them on the top shelf of my shade house all year. They get watered once or twice a week by overhead spray. When in flower I bring them down to the back patio, also under shade cloth. Feel free to contact me with any questions. Deni

- - - Updated - - -

The easiest way to kill a Phal is keep it wet too long. I'm not an expert but manage to keep them alive as follows. I repot them to a combo of bark chips, lava rock and big perlite. You can put some moss on top but when I use moss as the substrate they rot. Let good water run all over and through it till seems saturated, 1 to 3 times a week depending on humidity levels. They also dont like the cold, especially when wet. Hope this helps!

Haven't posted in here in a while...seems very much like I am destined in my current location to kill the vast majority of epiphytic orchids in my care. But, terrestrials flourish, and I've actually had a couple videos made of the most recent couple:

So this started blooming...
Epidendrum radicans by Hawken Carlton, on Flickr
And over the past few weeks, one open bloom turned into 5, then 10...I think I'm up to 15 concurrently open right now
And, one of the other stems has also begun developing a stalk. I need to look at trimming some of the other stems now though, as it's sprawling all over the bottom grow area of the highland tent.

Back