What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My biggest Phal...

Ok, I think this is fiarly new... On my biggest phal, there is a root coming out of the bottom of the pot, then right back into it thru another hole...

I think this means I need to change the pot. I know it seems like I'm on a repotting frenzy, but they're all in the pots I bought them in and none of them look OK...

There is still a flower spike, but it has a seed pod forming on it... I am not sure if I should repot while it is doing this. Also, once its done doing the seed thing, I will cut it back to the fourth node, and let it flower again. It will take forever for the seed pod to form, and then the new flower spike wll last monthes as well... Do I have to wait till like, next spring before I can repot, or what??? I'm just worried about the root at the bottom. If its OK, then I'll leave it...

Thanks alot.
Greg

Leave it be. The Phal is putting out a lot of energy in flowering and creating the seed pod. This is not the time to shock it by repotting. Besides, Phal roots frequently grow out of the pot with no problem for the plant.

In nature, the roots have a threefold purpose: they absorb water, they do some photosynthesis and they anchor the Phal to it's host tree. When they grow out of the pot like that, it's probably because they're seeking to further anchor the plant - which isn't needed when it's growing in a pot.

Ok, thanks. Thats wut I kinda thought about the seed pod making and stuff.
wink.gif

Back