What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Small

I have no orchids, but I like them. Are there any small ones that I can fit amongst my CPs? Do they need the same gross humidity? Where can I get a small, easy orchid? Hopefully cheap... I need to start somewhere...

Hi Parasuco

There are miniature orchids. Most often you will see miniature dendrobiums but I've also seen mini oncidiums and cattleyas. The dens get about 4" tall or so and seem to run around &#369 (at least here they do). Although you can find orchids at places like Lowes and Home Depot, I haven't ever seen any minis offered. The ones I've found were at a local greenhouse/nursery. The hardware/garden shops tend to carry the most popular and easier to grow varieties of orchids like dens and phalenopsis...occasionally a paphiopedilum but not minis in my experience.

Orchids like humidity but don't like soggy feet (as in being grown in soil in a wet terrarium). Being epiphytes, they like to have an airy potting medium (like orchid bark) which can dry out a bit in between waterings. Some orchids can be grown on osmunda or bark slabs so the roots are totally exposed to the air. I think a mini dendrobium might fit the bill for your first orchid to put with your CPs. I have 2 and one I'm taking care of for someone (which I will probably end up keeping as she knows nothing about plants which is why I ended up with it in the first place).

Check out your local nurseries...I'm sure they would have some mini-somethings you might like. :)

Suzanne

Another good choice is equitant oncidiums. These are basically a fan of 1" to 3" leaves (depending on hybrid) that puts out a long spike tipped with 1", brightly-colored, long-lasting flowers. They're harder to come by than a Phal or Paph or mini-dendrobium but a quick Google "Image" search turned up a couple of places. If you need more places, you can email me.

Paphs, I like the paph... Thats the one with just one flower per spike, right? I saw an orange one at the nursery I visited. They dont specialize in orchids, but they DO have them... How are they?

Paphs are great - humidity is relatively unimportant, and they need much less light than, say, a dendrobium or oncidium.   And, that single flower can last for months.  But, the smallest Paphs are not the easiest.  Most of the really small-growing ones (the Chinese group) require a drop of 15-20 degrees (farenheit) between day and night temperatures or they won't set buds.  The easiest Paphs are what's called the (hybrid) "Maudiae" group.  The fan of leaves on a Maudiae is around 15" across and can go larger.  The spike can be 2 feet tall.  If that's "small" enough for you, then that's definetly the way to go.

This is Paph. callosum, one of the species that's the basis of the Maudiae group.  The flower is 4" across and the leaf span is around 15".  The stem is about 13".

PICT1004c.jpg

(Edited by Merlin at 11:25 am on May 1, 2002)

Thats nice. I like how they stare at you...

I want one BAAAD!!!!
smile.gif

Nice pic Merlin, looks like a couple of other variagated Paph leaves and a T aeranthos or something in the background?

Do you own a nursery?

I agree Parasuco, does look like it's staring at you, he he.

fatboy

Thanks, Fatboy.

Yup, those are other varigated paphs in the background (P. fowlei, P. Olivia, P. primulinum x P. delanati).  The thin leaves directly behind the callosum is an Encyclia hybrid.  The tillandsia is T. funkiana - which I just bought sight unseen - I couldn't resist the name  
smile.gif

And no, I don't have a nursery.  Everything you see is growing under lights on a 50" by 30" table in my den.

I never thought of Paphs as staring at you.  They always reminded me of Klingon spaceships
smile.gif
.   Maybe not callosum so much, but take a look at the hainanese I posted in the "Another Ladyslipper" thread.   Definitely Klingon!

(Edited by Merlin at 6:24 am on May 2, 2002)

WOW Merlin! That paph is gorgeous! I WILL have one soon! LOL

Joann

Joann....you GO girl!! LOL :biggrin:

Suzanne

Back