What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Brassia

• Thread starter FinnishKid
  • Start date
This is the first stalk (of four so far&#33
wink.gif
on my brassia!
holden-d62bd8849d22404d04dde81a2e38021a68557d46.jpg

holden-290b51e48ae544d1c7319c5e22631bd070b0af52.jpg

Beautiful! I have a real weakness for the brassias. I love their wicked, spidery look. Some of them smell a bit funky though.
smile.gif

Suzanne

They totally rock and I'm surprised this one is doing so well. It has four flower spikes this year! I hope they'll all be blooming at once later this summer.
This one has a nice smell, really sweet like cotton candy.

If you can't see the photo, please check back soon. The server that hosts my site went down but should be back online very soon!

Those are awesome...
wow.gif

My brassia has a stalk now. It's the first orchid i have ever rebloomed.

It was quite a show. There were four blooming spikes at once for the last month. Sadly, there is only one left.
Congrats on yours carcinos. Do you have photos?

FinnishKid

Do you have an ID on your brassia? I'm just curious.
smile.gif

Suzanne

Finnishkid-I don't have a camera handy right now. Sorry

PaK... My brassia is an Edvah Loo "Goldilocks" The last spike of flowers is really hanging in there! It's been a month in bloom so far....

side note... my Oncidium 'Wildcat' flowers have opened this week too!!!
smile.gif
I'll bring pictures on Monday
smile.gif

Holden

Awww...I've been wanting an Edvah Loo! I've eyeballed a few on eBay where the prices are pretty good. Mine is 'Spider's Feast'.

I have an Onc. 'Wildcat' too.
smile.gif

I did recently buy a spectacular brassia that is orange with maroon bars (out of bloom and on sale for just $12&#33
wink.gif
. But to my horror, the excessive rains in the spring got to it and its rotting I think. I could kick myself!

Do you have any phrags? The paphs and phrags are my personal favorites, though I love all my orchids.

PaK,
I don't have any phrags. I have several moth orchids, a few dendrobiums, several oncidiums, a masdevilla and a zygopetalum which is so far a lovely leafy green plant (one would never know it's an orchid, as it never flowers&#33
wink.gif

It's a shame about the rain and the brassia. It seems like you could bring it in and let it dry a bit. ?
You could always replace it with this one I found on ebay...
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws....4783572

Do you know anything about dividing a brassia? Mine has four growing points. I thought I might divide it when the flowers have finnished. It looks like it needs repotting too. I don't know much about dividing though and I wonder if I ought to just leave it alone. Any thoughts on the matter?
I get almost all of my orchids from work. Every 2-4 weeks the office manager buys a new orchid for the lobby. Just before the last flowers fade, I get to take it home! and add it to my collection. It's a very inexpensive (FREE&#33
wink.gif
way to get orchids. And I have even begun to suggest which plants she should choose
wink.gif

Holden
biggrin.gif

Me again  
smile.gif

Here are some photos. The first one is a photo of my last brassia spike. I didn't stake it up and now it's dangling over the counter. The second is of my recently opened Wildcat spike. It seems that there is a lot more red than last year ... but I still love it.

PaK - do you have a dendrobium nobile? I have one that has made a puppy on the top. I've posted a picture here. When the flower is gone, I'm going to cut the pup off and plant it. It already has tons of roots. Would you like it? I was planning on just putting it into the bark of the mother plant, but I'd be happy to share. The flower will still last a few weeks, but when it's gone you're welcome to have it.
Let me know
smile.gif

holden-0691f81e359132db798de1e34c220b58a1fe7d74.jpg

holden-76c9a304adddafd26fc30dea8ef853a4724658f7.jpg

holden-ffa50e9e0332a6aa904f761ad7ec268fd9af7d56.jpg

Hi Holden

Nice pics! Beautiful flowers! I was never able to get a good pic of my brassia. Maybe the next time it flowers. I took some Wildcat photos but wasn't "wild" about any of them. hehe
rolleyes.gif
smile.gif

I have one nobile den. It suffered in the weather disaster. I think it will be ok though.

As for dividing the brassia...I have never done that. I would expect its no different than dividing any other orchid. Most of the brassia I have seen are exploding with roots so I'm not sure thats a sign of needing to be repotted. But not being a brassia expert, maybe Merlin or Tony could help there.

I'll PM you about the pup.
smile.gif

Suzanne

I'd leave the Brassia undivided.  Sympodial orchids like Brassias are typically left intact until you have 3 or 4 pseudobulbs for each division, so you've got a while to go.  

Beautiful pics, BTW
smile.gif

...in which case I shall leave it alone in the pot it's in for awhile longer
smile.gif
Thanks!
I've just removed the last flower spike.... two months of beautiful flowers! It was amazing!
smile.gif

PaK, feel free to send a message about the pup. Or I'll send you one when it's ready
smile.gif

Back