What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Australian greenhood orchids

Hi,

As requested by Merlin, I have posted a few shots of Australian Greenhood Orchids (Pterostylis) in the wild.

The first is a weird species called Pterostylis plumosa- the "Plumed Greenhood". Named so because of the plume shaped labellum which pokes out the front of the flower

Closeup of flower-

Pterostylis%20plumosa4%20Anglesea%20071003.JPG

Plant in natural habitat-

Pterostylis%20plumosa1%20Anglesea%20071003.JPG

Next species is Pterostylis smardagyna- the "Striped Tall Greenhood"-

Pterostylis%20aff.%20longifolia5%20Bris.%20Ranges%20160803.JPG

And finally, Pterostylis nana- the "Dwarf Greenhood" (photo by Binataboy)-

Pterostylis%20nana%20GC%20160803%20Bris.%20Rnages.JPG

A bit of a cross-section of entirely different looking species of the genus.

Sean.

Thanks, Sean
biggrin.gif
.  I really do like Greenhoods.  Tried to grow them but they never produced new tubers, so it was one year and gone...

Great pics, thanks again.

Merlin

Thanks for more great pics Sean.
smile.gif
You are indeed lucky to live where you can see these plants in their environment.

They are beautiful!

Suzanne

Hey Merlin,

Alot of greenhoods are very easy to grow so long as you know how to care for them. They grow very well if treated the same as your typical tuberous Drosera species. The only difference is that greenhoods require a bit more organic material in the mix- eg- humus, leaf mould, etc. It is also important that they don't get too wet, so they shouldn't be kept in a tray of water. I water mine from the top.

Many other Australian terrestrial species will also grow very well when treated in this way.

Regards,

Sean.

The first photo reminds me of an aroid flower
smile.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Seandew @ Oct. 10 2003,06:49)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Hey Merlin,

Alot of greenhoods are very easy to grow so long as you know how to care for them. They grow very well if treated the same as your typical tuberous Drosera species. The only difference is that greenhoods require a bit more organic material in the mix- eg- humus, leaf mould, etc. It is also important that they don't get too wet, so they shouldn't be kept in a tray of water. I water mine from the top.

Many other Australian terrestrial species will also grow very well when treated in this way.

Regards,

Sean.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
That explains it then.  Somebody gave me some really bad cultural advice for them.  My original US source is out of business but if I can find another, I may try them again.

Merlin

Back