What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New Orchid added!

PlantAKiss

Moderator Schmoderator Fluorescent fluorite, Engl
I was verrrry bad this weekend...I bought an orchid I saw last weekend and fell in love with. It is a slipper-type orchid...a phragmipedium. The colors are just spectacular...coral, pink and yellow with coral speckles on the inside of the pouch and nice twisty petals. I made the mistake of going back to the greenhouse this weekend and gave in and shelled out some big bucks (merry early Christmas to meee...lol). Its a multifloral with blooms opening sequentially. It has two open flowers and another bud emerging.

I'm going to try to post a pic...hope I remember how to do it. The photo doesn't do it justice though...its a beauty.

phragD4-02.jpg

Maybe this will inspire some of you to try a phragmipedium...or any other orchid. :)

Suzanne

I WOULD LOVE TO HAVE A phragmipedium. I know several people who collect them.

hmm .. looks like Phrag Eric Young.. or perhaps besseae x Sorcerers Apprentice...(how close is my guess?)

Nice Paph there next to it ;>
T

Looks huge... how big is the flower?

It sure is a beauty! Enjoy it! (and Merry Christmas LOL)

Tristan....get one! I would sure love to have more. The greenhouse I got this one from had another one that was almost all yellow....and of course very beautiful. I checked the phrags out on eBay and saw quite a few nice ones there and the prices weren't so bad either.

Pretty close, Tony. :) It's Phragmipedium Saint Peter...(Eric Young x longifolium). And the paph next to it is Tonsuk x Shadow Magic who's flower just faded. It lasted a long time though. My phal is still going strong. Its amazing how long orchid flowers can last. You may have to wait a while for blooming but then you get many weeks of enjoyment out it.

Dyflam...the flower is a good size but not huge. The span from petal to petal is about 4 1/2". I wish I had a better picture of it.

Robert, I'll have to remind myself at Xmas I already have my present to myself. hehe Unfortunately, there will probably be more "christmas presents" this spring as I make the rounds of the greenhouses. lol (Um...I didn't mention the 10 gerber daisies I also bought that same day....) :biggrin:

Suzanne

AHH ok that explains why the petals are more elongated than Eric Young. (Eric Young is besseae x longifolium). I used to grow Eric Young and mature plants were almost continuously in flower. Great plant !
Tony

Now I want a phrag too! Beautiful plant.

And I couldn't help but notice the Saintpaulia in the background...is that a trick of the light, or does one have BLUE flowers? Or are they dark violet?? I don't grow too many AVs and am clueless about the awesome variety out there. Off-topic, what's up with those blooms?

Chris

Hi Chris

Yes, thats an African violet (Saintpaulia) in the background (three actually). :) One of many. I don't really consider myself an AV grower, but I keep buying them. lol I now have about 9 or 10. The plant in the photo actually is a deep purplish color. My digital camera has a tendency to make purples look blue unfortunately. I did just recently buy a pale blue miniature AV but I haven't seen a dark blue one.

I think there will be more phrags in my future...there was another one at the greenhouse that was a little smaller that was almost all yellow...also beautiful. They made me weak in the knees. :) Its the first time I've seen a phrag in this greenhouse although I've always wanted to try one. And I've seen some beauties on eBay (some with the long draping petals)...so I might try there for the next one and maybe find a better price. Some of the phrags are rated as "beginner" plants, so not too hard to grow.

I hope you get one, Chris! :)

Suzanne

I'm definitely getting one. When the opportunity presents itself--indoor space is limited now till I move the rest of my sarrs outside.

Thanks for clearing up the AV. Maybe they're like roses, and hybridizers are on a quest to achieve 'true blue'.

(Edited by Dionaea Enthusiast at 12:55 pm on April 13, 2002)

Suzanne,

Your phrag is so beautiful I find myself going back to your post just to look at the picture! Ive started my quest for a phrag!
Hopefully soon it will be Merry Xmas to me!

Robert...I hope you find one. I have enjoy my new orchid immensely. The pouch of the slipper seems thicker and fleshier than a paph and the colors are very rich. I go look at it every day. The bottom flower has now dropped off (since it was already in bloom when I bought it, I don't know how old it was). Interestingly, phrag flowers don't shrivel up and die like most flowers do...they just drop off totally intact. Plop! When the lower flower fell, it was so perfect I picked it up and floated it in some water. And its STILL perfect! Looks very pretty floating around. :)

It still has one flower bud yet to open so I have something to look forward to. :)

Suzanne

I have falling head over heels in love with these Lady Slippers, this is my first year trying to grow them but I am keep my fingers crossed. PlantAKiss that is a lovely painting, did you paint it yourself?

(Edited by Windsurffer at 11:26 am on April 21, 2002)

Hi Windsurffer

Welcome to the forums! Yes, the slipper orchids (paphiopedilums, phragmipediums, cypropediums) are my favorites. :) I like other orchid varieties too. I saw two new phrags at the Greenhouse today, but this time I had to keep walking (I bought 3 more ochids at a plant sale!). Do you know what kind of slipper orchid you have, Windsurffer??

I'm not sure what painting you are referring to. Do you mean the photograph? If so, yes I took the photograph. As soon as I get my photos uploaded to the server, I will posting a few more of my newest orchid members. :)

Keep me posted on how your orchids are doing. :)

Suzanne

I do know that they are pink Lady Slippers, sorry I wish I knew more.  I received these in a seed trade with not much information, but will find out as soon as they start to bloom. I am sorry that I mistook your photo for a painting but it is so lovely.  I can't wait to see more of your lovely plants and thank you for that warm welcome
smile.gif

I am looking for a place to post my photos that will allow me to post just one photo instead of sharing the whole album.

Windsurffer...

hmmmmm...sometimes when the term "Pink Lady Slipper" is used, its referring to the terrestrial lady slipper flower found in woodlands. Terrestrial slipper orchids are called cypropediums and they grow in soil as opposed to the epiphytic-type tropical orchid. Did you receive plants in the trade or seeds?

I don't know a lot about Cypros (I don't grow them...YET!) but the "traditional" pink lady slipper takes 7-10 years to flower although its possible commercially produced seeds might not take that long.

And also, if i'm not mistaken, you can post your pictures here at the PFT site on your homepage. I'm not sure the technical stuff involved but you can either email Phil or Jeff (owners of this site) or post under the General Forum section and ask about uploading pics here.

Ive got to get my two new pics uploaded so I can post them. They are so pretty. And I'm glad you have an appreciation of the slipper orchids. I think they are awsome!

Suzanne

Suzanne I agree with you they are awsome. I received the seeds but had no idea that it took that long for them to flower. I have them planted outside in my garden and they seem to be doing great. I am going to add them to my journal and keep tract of their growth and habbits.
Can you tell me what's the difference between the Phragmipedium and the Cypropediums, is it that they are grown in different mediums?
Thanks for the information about posting pictures, I'll check into it.
Kit

Hi Kit

Phragmipediums are epiphytic orchids (meaning they have "air roots" that like loose, open media (orchid bark, lava rock, etc.). They grow in places like trees, rock cliffs and other like areas where they draw most of their nutrients thru air and water. They like to get wet but the roots need to be able to dry out fairly quickly and not stay immersed in soggy soil. Cypropediums are terrestrial which means they grow in soil. I've heard they can be fussy about the soil. It needs to be loose and well draining and acid (they grow on forest floors in leaf and pine mold). I thought I had a bookmark for you, but I can't find it. You can surf cypros on the web and fine soil requirements. I want a cypro myself! But I've heard they are expensive!

Suzanne

Thanks Suzanne, I have mine planted outside and they are doing great so far. I had to cover most of my plant today the weather here is going down into the 20's-30's so I covered them just in case. I won't be able to get one of the Phragmipediums this year but hope to have some next year. I do have a Staghorn Fern so I do understand about it gowing off a tree and not harming the tree it's self. I have been doing a lot of reading on this plant since I finally got one.

I have a staghorn fern as well. I love ferns. My favorite is the maidenhair but its hard to keep because of humidity requirements. I have a relatively new staghorn (2 in one osmunda slab). Its not doing as well as others I've had so I need to work on it.

suzanne

Back