What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Terrarium orchids ?

Does anyone know any good mini orchids? I'm looking for a miniature that favors hot conditions, is evergreen and doesn't require a temperature drop.( for my new 20gal. terrarium )

Thanks  
smile.gif

Hi monkeyman - all I can think of that might meet your conditions are Equitant Oncidiums (a.k.a. Tolumnias) .

The main problem is that almost all the miniature orchids need cool conditions or really good air movement (or both).  So to get even equitants to survive in a hot terrarium, you'd have to have fairly strong air movement and even then it would be iffy.  Also, if you're planning on humidity approaching 100%, don't try the equitants - they have to dry out between waterings.  The miniature orchids that love high humidity are almost all cloud forest types, which means they also need cool conditions and diffuse light.

Sorry I couldn't be more help.

Thanks anyway Merlin. I had no idea that most miniature orchids preferred cool conditions, oh well. And thanks for the suggestion, I think I'll try it.
smile.gif

The best plant i can think of provided you can give it enough light would be Cattleya violacea, this plant is from Peru and they dont get much temperature varience from day to night.
Its got a wonderful aroma too, extremely strong spicey/soapish type fragrance its definatley one of my favorites these plants stay reletively small, though I wouldnt call them a miniature. A young plant would need roughly 8-10 years before it would reach its maximum size.

Merlin I think your generalizing too much. With roughly 37,000 different species of orchids it is hard to say that most miniatures like cool conditions especially when you take into consideration that orchids grow in nearly every climate in the world. As far as equitants go they are epiphytes and should be grown in the terreria as such, ie mount them on overhanging branches or cork affixed to the wall. Yes they must dry out in between waterings, but when speaking about RH{reletive humidity} I dont care who you are and what your growing but 100% rh lacking any air movement is a reciepe for disaster. This can be corrected by attaching a small computer fan to the top of your terreria oriented so that it is sucking air away from your plants and blowingup against the top, this way you are recirculating all of the air in your terreria.
FWIW

Peace
biggrin.gif

Sure I was generalizing.  But of the 37,000 orchid species how many are commercially available?  And of that number, how many fit miniature/high humidity/warm growing?  I couldn't come up with any, and as you say, C.violacea isn't really a miniature either (pretty flowers, though).

" But of the 37,000 orchid species how many are commercially available?"

I cant give you an exact number at this moment but I can tell you that theres roughly 100,000 registered hybrids.

"And of that number, how many fit miniature/high humidity/warm growing? "

The real kicker was the request that it be able to tolerate no temp varience from day to night. Warm growing as a general rule still calls for some temp varience from day to night.
I could list hundreds of miniatures that could work spledidly aside from the previously mentioned requirement.

Peace
biggrin.gif

Check out Ludisia spp. they're spose to be great in terrarium conditions (i have a Ludisia discolor in one at 60% plus humidity... 75-90 degrees...) blackjungle.com sells Ludisia discolor... but no other spp.

Ludisia discolor... glad to hear someone else here grows this plant. It is by fat the easiest orchid I have ever grown, cuttings are even easy to root, and the flowers may be small, but they are still very nice flowers. I have also heard it is good for terrariums, though I have only grown it on windowsills.

Back