What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Orchid newbie

wishs_angel

adnedarn's wife =)
Hello, I am new to Orchids.  I just figured I would say hello, and introduce myself.  Thanks to plantakiss for starting me in on this (I met her through my soon to be husband (adnedarn on this forum).  I figure it this way.  He spends money on plants.  ...now i can too.  :-D  I think I will most enjoy them.  I just puchased 3 diff plants.  Here are some pictures.  I have read the Orchid care sheet, any other tips and info would be much appriciated.
Here is a pic of EPC. KAUAI PRETTY GIRL and the roots growing out the top.
EPC%20KAUAI%20PRETTY%20GIRL%20ROOTS%20IN%20AIR%204-16-03.JPG

Here is a pic of the whole plant.
EPC.%20KAUAI%20PRETTY%20GIRL%204-16-03%20PLANT.JPG

Here is a pic of WILS.LISA DEVOS
WILS.LISA%20DEVOS%20PLANT%204-16-03.JPG

Here is a pic of WILS.KOLIBRI
Wils.%20Kolibri%20plant%204-16-03.JPG

And finally a close up of the WILS.KOLIBRI FLOWER.
Wils.%20Kolibri%20flower%204-16-03.JPG

Thanks,

first off welcome to the forum.

you had me baffeled at first with the first pic. you posted. i had to look twice to see what you used to tie the plant up with. first time i have ever see a hair butterfly used. good idea thu.

the one thing i would do is repot the plants into your own soil mix. you never know how long the plant has been in the mix it came with and a refresh is always great for the plant. all that paper and most likly package popcorn is not needed

enjoy your new plants since you have been around them for a while due to your hubby it really isn't something new to you.

Hi Deangela

Welcome to the orchid forum.
smile.gif
Soooo you found yourself some orchids, huh? Couldn't get a dendrobium or phalaenopsis....noooooo...you had to go get some "fancy" hybrids. lol

Actually they look like nice plants. Nice pics too.
smile.gif

Your EPC is an Eppicattleya--a cross between a Cattleya and an Epidendrum. I have no experience with them so perhaps someone else has more personal care info for you...Khai? Merlin? Care would probably be similar to that of a Catt...if so that is: bright light to some sun (such as an east window). No direct mid-day sun. Temps 70-85 degrees daytime, water thoroughly (no cold water) but allow to dry out thoroughly before watering again...humidity 50-80%. Fertilize every 2 weeks with a high nitrogen formula or 1/4 strenth every watering.

Your WILS are Wilsonara...Cochlioad x Odontoglossum x Oncidium. And for those I will defer to someone who may have experience with them. I don't. That's quite a hybrid mix.

Hopefully if you got care sheets with them that should tell you what you need to know.

BTW George...that little clip isn't a hair clip.
smile.gif
It does look like one though. They are like mini versions of a hairclip and are being used a lot now to clip plants or flower stalks to stakes. I've seen some really cute ones shaped like dragonflies.

Good luck Deangela...I like your new plants.
smile.gif
Let me know how they are doing.

Suzanne

Suzanne,
that is what i ment to call it. i asked my daughter to take a look at the picture to see what it was and she couldn't remember what they where call so i just called it a that next time i will know. good idea thu gives it a diff look instead of twisty ties

Suzanne - your Epc growing advice sounds good to me.
smile.gif

Personally, I've never managed to actually grow any of these - they're either too big or need more light and/or humidity than I can supply - but from what I remember, Wilsonara like it cooler and a little wetter than Catts - more like Odonts. Khai?

BTW, I don't think that is actually WILS.LISA DEVOS - unless it's been mis-packaged. The picture on the packaging shows what appears to be a Miltonia. Do a google on 'Lisa Devos' and you'll see what I mean.

Well on the packaging it had the label of miltonia on the care sheet but the label in the plant said lisa devos. So I am not too sure what it is. I had thought that maybe lisa devos was a form of miltonia, but being new to orchids I wasn't sure. There are many different orchids out there are they are all beautiful. I don't know what I am going to do, I seem to want them all.

I was just wondering if it is normal for the roots to grow like they are in my first picture, out of the soil and up the plant?? I have never seen this before. If this is not normal what should I do???

Well, In nature, orchids are epiphytes, meaning they grow clinging to trees, rocks, etc. So, it shouldn't be abnormal if the plant's roots are growing upwards, since It still thinks it needs to hold on to trees... Just my $0.02 GOOD LUCK, enjoy orchids! (AND CP's OF COURSE)
biggrin.gif
smile.gif
biggrin.gif
smile.gif
biggrin.gif
smile.gif

It's normal for several kinds. Those roots can take water up, especially if there is lots of humidity. If the tips are green, that's a sign of good heath.

Ok sorry I havent been around lately to contribute as Ive been really busy latley. Care for the Epicatts. is pretty much as stated above although Id say they prefere slightly more water than a Catt.
Merlin hit the nail on the head in reference to the Wilsonara.
And that most definately is not a Wilsonara.
Wils_Lisa_Devos_HOF5.JPG

As this Is Wils. Lisa Devos.

biggrin.gif

Back