What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Couple more questions

Is there any reason why using water with fertilerzer in a spray bottle daily on the roots of a dend is a bad thing? I usually give a spritz or two daily and a good soak once (probably now twice) a week.

Does turning the pot cause any problems. I know this is an issue with xmas catcus and a few others in bud. The dend is not in bud or looking even close but I seem to find myself often picking the pot up for a closer look at new developments (eyesight not so great) and don't pay particular attention to how I place it back on the table.

I am real pleased with my new baby. The growth I had talked about in the earlier post is definately a new cane, its close to 3 inches long and now starting to get leaves. There are also 2-3 roots working their way across to the edge of the pot. So cool to watch it. Have not been able to move it outside yet, have just started to get warmer weather, then had to contend with the week of poplar tree fuzzies that made a royal mess of the yard, not to mention now the gadzillion seeds that have germenated all over the place. Whoever thought this was a good tree to plant should have their head examined, and we have them all over the city.

Well, have a good one all-----and thanks for your thoughts.

Hi Linda

I wouldn't use fertilizer daily on your den. Orchid growers' fertilizing regimens vary depending on the type of orchid, but its generally suggested orchid fertilizer once every two weeks at full strength or every watering at 1/4 strength. Orchids are weak feeders. A once or twice a day misting of fertilizer is probably unnecessary.

And turning the pot isn't an issue. I move mine around all the time.

I'm glad you are seeing progress with your baby.
smile.gif
And I know what you mean about the tree mess. I have a huge pecan tree and it makes a mess 3 seasons out of four...plus a pin oak (that the city planted right by my side gate) that drops acorns everywhere in the fall and will get HUGE.
mad.gif
The clean up is never ending. (I also pull up tons of baby pecan trees because the squirrels bury them...essentially planting lot of trees&#33
wink.gif

I hope you have continued success with your den.
smile.gif
Just wait til you see your first flower spike. You will be so proud.

Suzanne

Thanks Suzanne,

I'll stick to just fertilizer whith regular watering, not spritzing. Glad to hear about turning not an issue, I'm always picking the baby up. Sure hope I can get flowers, I'm concerned its not getting enough light to flower and it will be a bit longer before I can put it outside. For as bad a spring (cold and real wet) we've had, summer had better last till December LOL.

Don'y worry Linda...dens are pretty reliable bloomers and you've been taking good care of it. I don't think you'll be disappointed.
smile.gif

Same here...cold, very very wet spring. In fact they just announced this was the wettest spring EVER in weather-recorded history! It has unfortunately affected my orchids...too cool, too wet, little sun. There is some damage.
sad.gif
But all I can say is...they will grow...

Suzanne

Hi Linda –

Two things to consider:
First, the roots of your Den must dry out between waterings or they will eventually rot.  Be sure your spritzer isn’t keeping them too damp.

Second, the growing tips of the roots are very delicate.  If there is any wiggle when you pick the plant up, you are taking a chance of damaging the root tips by rubbing them against the pot or medium.  Unless you’re using a rhizome clip (or the equivalent), it would be much safer to wait until the root growth has ‘glued’ the plant in place.

Merlin

Very interesting and informative, thanks Merlin. I suppose there is a wiggle when I pick up the pot although I do try to be careful. Well, I'll just make myself keep my fingers off and maybe try using the binoculars to get a better look----just kidding, eyesight not good but not THAT bad LOL. The root pieces look good and are moving pretty quick across the top so I'm pretty sure no harm done yet.

Since I'm still learning its hard to say if the spritzer is too much water. I pretty much play it by ear, in the AM after I water down the lizards and cps I usually give the dend a couple of spritz's too. Then when I get home from work at night I'd only consider it if its been a hot dry day (which hasn't been much here lately as I said earlier). Wishful thinking on my part when we had 2 days at 90 degrees in a row (back down to 70 today). I will keep aware and try to use common sense. Since the dend is not in a tank to keep constant humidity, I have a tendenacy to think it will get too dry sitting on the shelf under a light. The spritzer really only gets the surface though, I don't spritz daily to the point of running out the bottom of the pot (that's weekly at best).

Thanks again all,

Linda

You don't need to keep your den (or many other orchids) in tanks for humidity. One reason dens are so popular and readily found at garden shops is because they grow just fine in normal household conditions. I don't have any orchids that require such high humidity they suffer indoors--all of mine winter inside. And I have a lot. Orchids do appreciate humidity but there are many varieties you can grow that don't need a greenhouse, constant misting or fussy special treatment.

Also, Merlin mentioned a rhizome clip. If you feel your plant is a little wobbly in the pot, you might consider that. Its shaped kinda like a "7" and the hooked part goes over the edge of the pot and the straight part kinda clamps over top of the rhizome and steadies it. I use them on some of mine. They are useful if a plant doesn't have a strong root system to hold it steady in the pot. If you want to use them, just be careful not to poke the root/rhizome or have the pressure so tight it might choke or break it.

Suzanne

Thanks Suzanne,

Good to know about the humidity, in the winter I do keep a mist vaporizor going so that will help when it is most needed. I'll look for the clip you mentioned, although I think the dend is fine. The longest root has just reached the edge of the pot and the next one is not far behind.

Thanks again.

Back