What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Blooming

After the flowers are done (how long for that to happen?), how long is it till they send up another spike? When do they not flower?

The five dollar paph I got without flowes just grew two buds, and I can see another one on the tip peeking out... Hahahaha, I got a discount on a plant that was still flowering.... And I repoted it too, so its pretty healthy... Mind you, when I bought it, there was only half a pot of potting media, and it was leaning over, and two of the three leaves were yellow... What is the growth rate of leaves/spikes???

I took a picture of my first orchid, but I lost my moms camera (SSSHHH, or I"ll kill you!!! j/k), but once the newest discount one blooms, i'll take a picture of it too, then i'll scan and post them. I cant wait to see IT'S colours!

Hi

Here is some info that might help you with flowering.

A full size Phalaenopsis can possibly be in bloom for 6 to 8 months out of the year; producing two or more complete spikes per year. When the last flower has wilted, the spike can be cut back to about an inch above the fourth node, counting from the base. (A node is the bump on the spike.) Usually, a lateral shoot will form from one of these remaining nodes within several months. Flowers might be smaller on the second batch.

A minimum night temperature of 62° to 65° F is optimum. Temperatures as low as 58° F will not harm the plant and would be helpful to initiate spiking, but should not be continued for more than a few weeks as the plants are more prone to fungus at these temperatures. Day temperatures should range between 75° to 85° F

In the late Fall, a short duration of temperatures below the low average are necessary to initiate flower spiking. About three weeks of night temperatures in the 52 to 54 ° F range will insure good bud initiation. After this brief period of cooling, the Phals should be maintained in the normal range. When in flower Phals should be kept above 60° F. (16 ° Celsius).

Hope that helps you out.

Suzanne
smile.gif

Parasuco

Phals are spring or fall bloomers. Some phal hybrids can be ever blooming, putting out new buds or branching on the same spike after the flowers have faded and fallen off, flowering for a year or more. There is no need to cut the spike until it dries and turns brown.

Happy growing, Chris

Back