What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Drac. vamp

Just make sure they do not get warm. Dracs & Masd. like temps 75*F or less daytime and a 20*F drop at night due to their highland habitat. Seems like 90% of the "interesting" orchid species are highland which like cool (and humid) nights.

it hasn't been over 75 degress here latly and humidity is 100% in there. the winter time i really don't have to worry about here. it is going to be the summer times that i'm going to have to keep an eye on the everything.

Id say the most interesting of Orchid genera would be Bulbophyllum and being the largest genera of all youve got quite a bit to chose from especialy since it seems as if most all of bulbophyllum prefere warm humid environments.

Im just curious, arent you guys experiencing any problems with what seems to me like excessive humidity.

Peace
biggrin.gif

the only problem i have is at night is i have to take a towel to everything to clean up all the water that has gathered around from the high humidity but, besides that nothing is really a big deal.

i have heard mix commets about the humidity requirement for some plants. one place i was told 50% is good enough another place i was told 70% was good enough and from people on here that 90% is what was needed for the plants to flower. so i just keep it on full blast. the highland neps. that are w/ the drac. seem to like it anyway aving the water sit on the leaves all the time.

I do have high humidity as my humidistat is set right under the light at it's maximum setting (80%) so it's sensor stays drier than down where the plants are, this way I maintain 90%+ humidity but my tanks air is not stagnant as is the lowland terrarium (which is so hot and steamy you cough when you open it and inhale) the highland tank is constantly exchanged with fresh moving humidified air (like fog) so there is no actual water left on the leaves but when you touch the leaves you can feel that they are "clammy" and just about wet. The highland Nepenthes really like the extreme "swirling fog" conditions as well as bright light and fresh air. With the right placement these orchids do well but I really fried my Masd. wurdacki (sp?) with too much light by setting it next to my N. hamata this hurt the orchid pretty bad. I have since moved all my Masd. below the bench with the Paphs.

with the lighting i have it growing right with all the other highlander right under the 4' flor. light and there seams to be no harm what so ever. actually yesterday i cut off all the old growth on one of the Drac.Vamp. and alread there is 3 new leaves emerging from the potting mix. there is also humidity sitting on its leaves at all times as the fog rolls around in the stagment air with very litte air movment. also i beleave there is a spike coming from the root system.will beable to tell more in a couple of day.

there is a orchid show the 25-26 here in town from the local orchid soc. i already e-mailed the ladie for the times of the show. it will be interesting to see what they have and also are selling.

It should be noted that there are no plants for sale at this show.....

Chris

chris, i was told there was going to be 9 venders there your in a diff. state then i am

We got an orchid show up here in MN (in the St. Paul como zoo conservatory to be exact) on those same days (1/25 - 1/26). I don't know if they will be selling anything but I read in the article that Orchids ltd will be there showing plants, maybe just advertising for the shop and not actually selling anything.

Yes it is the winter MOS show at the St paul conservatory.
I dont believe they sell at this show.
Its mostly for Judging, It is the only official AOS show in MN, meaning its the only show to be judged by an acting AOS judge, with all awards recorded. And it only happens once a year so its always a treat.
I assisted in the set up of the OL display one year,we got screwed with the location we were given,
thats what you get when the judge has a personal grudge against the owner of your company and a vested interest in seeing his display awarded.
confused.gif

We only got one AM-award of merit, most of us agreed that the plant didnt even deserve it but the "judge" apparently felt it was worthy, i suppose it was better than nothing.
Luckily that man is no longer a member of the MN Orchid Society.

Peace
biggrin.gif

I must say if youve got water standing on your leaves all day you need seriously need to improve your air movement, your just asking for an infection. Bacterial or Fungal.
Why did you cut the old growth off of your Dracula?
Was it dead?

Oopps.....My fault, in minnnesota we have a show on the same days as said already. no sales at our show....Sorry, guess I should look before I start typing...

the leaves that i cut off where turning yellow and  where starting to die off. so instead of waiting a week or so before they roted off i cut them. with checking on them today they look alot better than they did. water doesn't sit on them all the time only when i sit them really close to the ultrasonic humidifier to get misted really good. well the ones that are poted in only orchid bark i sit them close to it all the time so the bark will stay wet most of the time. the ones that are potted in just lfm i move them backand forth so the moss doesn't dry out and also so the moss doesn't stay soaking wet all the time.

Back