What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wanted: minature orchid

Orchids: Restripias, Pluerothalids, Psygmorchis, Sigmatostalix,
masdevalia, Dracula, miniature oncidiums, etc.
Small bromeliads like N. fireball etc.

What are the growing conditions in there? It's helpful to know the light level, humidity, and temperature range when deciding what'll do well.

The basic climate of the vivarium is tropical.  The humidity would be around 80 and higher, prefably 90% and higher.  The temperature will range around 68 - 80 degrees F.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Conditions and types of orchids

The orchids for a vivarium should require at least a higher temperature and humidity, if not they will simply rot away and die. Most orchids in the flower shops will not come from the forests of the poison frogs, but are originally brought from the rain forests in south-east asia. The frogs do not mind however, and these orchids are well available and through cultivation, provide beautifull flowers every year and bloom sometimes 6 months in a row during the summer months.

Most orchids will survive temperatures between 10 degrees celsius and 30 degrees celcius. Therefore they are more robust than most poison frogs. Some orchids however are not suited for a rainforest vivarium with poison frogs since they require too low minimum temperatures of 10 degrees Celcius, these species are the cymbidiums, odontoglossums. The best results in my vivarium are received with the commonly available : phaleonopsis, dendrobium and paphiopedilum species. In general warmth loving species that require a winter minimum temperature of 18 degrees celcius are suited for this type of vivaria.

Some orchids require more light than others, mosthly orchids do not like direct sunlight this will burn most leaves. Phaleonopsis orchids are the worst, they hardly need light ( but lots of warmth )and therefore i have placed them as far as possible from the UV light bulb in the vivarium. Within a radius of 50 cm, there is little chance of succes with this rewarding species. Paphiopedilum is a little more foregiving, while dendrobium species are most forgiving with respect to light. I have 2 paphiopedilum plants at 40 cm from the UV light source and sometimes they have burnt leaves, however they continue to send new bulbs and flowers.

During misting the orchids like to become wet, however they do not like to stay wet, so the ventilation and light heat should dry the leaves. Secondly orchids will rot in standing water, flowing or dripping water is OK on the roots, but not on the leaves. Especially not in the hart were the new leaves emerge. In case the orchids are constantly wet in that area they will rot and die.
[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

I have a Pleurothallis quadrifida (also known as racemiflora).  You can see it nearly halfway down this page at Jay Pfahl's orchid species site - http://orchidspecies.com/indexpl-pz.htm  I've had it a couple years, but it wants more humidity than I provide it.  I recently mounted Barkeria spectabilis plants that were deflasked a couple months ago.  They're far from blooming, but also stay small and would do well there too.  They're about 1/4 of the way down this page - http://orchidspecies.com/indexb.htm#sec4  Another choice would be Miltonia spectabilis, which you can see about 1/3 of the way down the page at http://orchidspecies.com/indexme.htm  I've had mine a few years but it has humidity issues too.  I might have other prospects too, but have to look.

Those orchids are bueatiful. The flowers are nice, it would be so pretty for them to be blooming in a vivarium. =D.

Do you have a trade list? I also have a small division from my Encyclia tampenses. It isn't a spectacular orchid, but it's a reliable bloomer with a nice scent and would do well in there.

Right now, I just started to collect plants, so I don't have a tradelist yet, in about a month I should have a good size tradelist.

From what I understand about these Vivariums for frogs, you are creating a lower cloud forest condition. As mentioned by others, Pleurothallids would be a good choice. Also, they are geographically correct. Look for the species from mid altitudes within these genera: Masdevallia, Restrepia, Pleurothallis and Dracula. Check out J and B Orchids in Connecticutt. They have a lot to choose from and are very helpful.

Trent

Slight correction, Trent.  J&B is in NY.  I think you're looking for J&L Orchids in Conn.  They're world famous for their miniatures.  
smile.gif

Merlin

Thanks Merlin! I was thinking of J and L. The two ladies who own the establishment frequently attend the Redlands Orchid Festival in Homestead, Florida. I've had some nice chats with them. They always bring a selection of Masdevallias and other Pleurothallids. Not the easiest stuff to grow down here in the subtropical lowlands. Because of their miniature size, I must admit that one day I hope to build a refrigerated Wardian case just to grow Masdevallias and Draculas. I've done a bit of research and have a basic design ready to go. All it takes is money and time.
Anyway, J and L is very helpful, and so is Hoosier Orchids, now that I think about it!

Trent

Back