What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Calypso Orchid

G

I was given a beautiful Calypso Orchid but I'm not sure how to care for it.. it's called Calypso bulbosa.. any tips? what type of soil should I plant it in? someone said something about it being symbiotic.. do I need to grow something else with it?
HELP
sad.gif

ahh Calypso is a woodland flower in some of the milder areas of the country. I would say it needs an area that is moderately moist, somewhat shaded and a loamy type soil that drains well. During the winter they go dormant. Sometimes you will find them for sale in nursery catalogs.
Tony

Thank you for the advice
smile.gif
They don't only grow in milder areas of the country though.. they grow wild as far north as Alaska from what I hear..

That could be.. I am not sure the northern range. But they do need a cold winter dormancy. I didn't word what I was trying to say all that well.. ;/
t

I checked my United States Wildlife book and I found it ( an Orchid that I want SOOO badly&#33
wink.gif
and it says it grows in bogs,and cool mossy forests. So, yeah it must like it damp. Must also tolerate acids soils too. Just listen to Tony, he the orchid guy.
smile.gif

Ok, so keep it shaded and damp and I should be ok?
smile.gif

ive read up on calypso int he past and from what i understand, you could probably just plant it in your bog garden and it will do fine. i have also heard that it it an alaskan native. also rare from over collecting, so i ve heard.

-good luck!!

IronMonkey- It is Alaska native.. we live in AK and it was taken from my friends private property that was being built on.. they didn't want to kill it but didn't know what to do with it so they gave it to me
confused.gif

Do you have any experience with Calypso Orchids? Have you ever heard anything about them being symbiotic?

Their symbiotic with a type of fungus.( like all orchids) Many orchids don't have or lose their fungus partner in cultivation though.

Ok, so I'll just hope that the fungus came along with the plant..
I swear.. this orchid makes CP's look easy!
tounge.gif

purplesundew- where did you get the Calypso? I know your friend got it but where did he/she obtain it? A store? Nursery?

smile.gif
OK nepenthes gracilis, finish that cup of coffee/tea.
wink.gif
I think you fell asleep at the keyboard.
wow.gif
 </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">it was taken from my friends private property that was being built on.. they didn't want to kill it but didn't know what to do with it so they gave it to me[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

Hi guys
smile.gif
Just wanted to let you know that my Calypso orchid made it through the winter just fine. It's got one beautiful leaf so far and it looks to be putting up a few more. When it flowers I'll add a pic.. I just hope my move to OR doesn't affect it's flowering :/
Does anyone else grow these now? Anyone have any advice for this growing season?

Back