What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Lady Slipper

• Thread starter Flint
  • Start date
  • Tags
    lady
I almost bought this the other day because it was so pretty, how difficult of a plant is it? On a scale of 1-10, 1 being cheese mold, 10 being a dewy pine from seed.

Hi Flint

The lady slipper orchids are paphiopedilums (the *epiphytic* variety). (There are also lady slipper orchids called cypropedilums which are *terrestrial* orchids that are native to the U.S., found in acidic woodland environs and most are PROTECTED. This type can be quite tricky in their soil requirements!).

While paphs aren't as easy as say a dendrobium (easy, reliable bloomers), I wouldn't call them difficult. The mottled-leaved ones are considered a tad easier than the all-green leaved ones. One nice thing about the paphs is they grow in lower light conditions than some other orchids. I just bought a beautiful new paph (off eBay) thats "blooming size" (old enough to produce blooms) and the flower has the colors of a sunrise. I can't wait to see it bloom! Mine that is blooming now is a mottled leaf variety and let me tell you its a kick when they do bloom! It's a beauty...called a "vini" as its a burgundy wine color. And once they've bloomed you can move them to any place in your house to enjoy and they will do just fine (for the duration of the bloom). Then you can put them back to a better light source. Paphs produce new plantlets off the older plant...and only new plants bloom. So they have a "progressive" growth pattern across a pot (as some other orchids do as well). So when buying a plant, its nice to find one that has multiple growths in the pot. Look for good healthy looking leaves, firm with no damage and as mentioned, hopefully more than one growth in a pot. (Price may be higher for muliple growths). They appreciate lots of humidity...my pots sit in a tray with rocks in water near a south window but get only a slice of direct light each day and they don't really need that much. Indirect light is fine. Some paphs produce one single flower growth per plant and some have multiple flowers. I think you might really like one of these plants.

A really good place to scope out many varieties and hybrids of paphs is....eBay! Just use a search for "paphs" or "paphiopedilum" and you can cruise thru and see MANY beautiful orchids! I drool over them. :) And you can search for other orchids as well. The Brassia are cool...the flowers look like spiders. And the sanderianums!--flower petals fall like a corkscrew and can drape as long as 3 feet!

Orchids are cool and I encourage anyone to try one. Some are kinda challenging and some are easy. But all are beautiful and fun. :)

Let me know if you get one Flint! I can email you some pics if you like.

suzanne

Wow!!! I want a Brassia arcuigera! You're right they do look like spiders, very beautiful spiders that can't hurt me so I love them. hehe, Thank you plantakiss, now at least I know what I want to look for.

You're welcome Flint. You might find once you get ONE...you have get more! I want a Brassia Edvah Loo. Course I haven't had my brassia long enough to know if i can get to bloom! Time will tell.

Let me know what you get. :)

suzanne

Back