What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Its all good till...

Bah, I knew it was too good to be true. It was healthy... Two leaves are funked up!

Numero Uno - Splotchy yellow

Numero Dos - There is a patch on the edge of the leaf about the size of two thumbs and it is REALLY squishy inside, like a bruised banana... Its like, aloe ver that you have squeezed, but not broken the skin...

BOTH of the leaves have healthy ones underneath, so I am not too sure that it is just age... I am thinking that i could possible have been the heat. It just may have gotten really hot in my room on the weekend... I was away at my moms, so I dont know....

Help... Or I'll cry!

Parasuco - when you say that the leaves have healthy ones "underneath" do you mean that the middle/center-of-the-fan/youngest leaves are the ones with the problems?  If it is the youngest leaves, then you've got trouble.

As I'm sure you know, Phals grow from the center of the fan.  If the center growth bud is destroyed, you might as well toss the plant.  So, assuming it is the center leaves that you're talking about, I'd remove them both near their bases with the (now famous) Sterile Blade.  The object is to save the center growth bud from fungus or bacteriological infection.  If this is the plant with the re-blooming spike, cut the spike off, too.  If you're lucky, the Phal will recover and you'll see new leaf growth in couple of months.

Btw, if we're not talking about the very center leaves but either the lowest or middle leaves, then you're probably okay.  I'd cut them anyway to be sure that nothing evil is growing on them but it shouldn't be a problem.

There are three layers of leaves... the bottom layer of baby leaves is fine, the next two are the two that are pooey, then there are the top two, with a new one growing after that.
I just want to know WHY this happend? Especially the bruise or wutever that mushy part is... No fungus...

UPDATE: The leaf with mushy stuff in it has the bigger mushy patch, and all the guts of that mushy patch have slid down to the lower most part of the leaf, but still inside. So basically, its a dark green spot that is only skin, then a large bubble of leaf juice at the bottom of the spot... It is on the end of the leaf, not the base...

What could have possible done this?

To tell you the truth, I've never seen a mushy spot like you're describing.  I suggest you play it safe and remove the leaf, ASAP.

Since the leaf is between two healthy ones, you may want to use a small sterilized scissor instead of a razor blade to avoid damaging the other leaves.  I use a fingernail scissor (blades about 1/2" long), sterilized on the open flame of the kitchen range's gas burners.

You might as well cut off the yellow leaf at the same time.

As to what caused the problem - it's either physical damage, stress or disease - which doesn't tell you anything you didn't already know.

I have a feeling some numpty pinched it... How upsetting...
sad.gif

Back