What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mounting orchids

• Thread starter DarthBuck
  • Start date
I have some orchids I want to mount. My problem is I cannot find a local supply of cork bark. I know I can get it online but I was wanting to get some quickly and be able to pick my own piece (but I wouldn't mind some input on some of the online suppliers). What are others using to mount orchids? I can get drift wood at local pet stores, is that an acceptible mounting medium?

If anyone has pictures of mounted orchids, I'd love to see them.

T. Buck.

Do you have a Petsmart or Petco nearby? You can get cork slabs there (about 6" x12" in size) as well as little "tree" stands that are made for reptiles to crawl on. these are a couple branches attached to a round stand covered in moss. The branches have bark and and weird shapes. They are free standing and will hold several smaller orchids each.

You can buy a small grapevine wreath or swag and stuff Long Fibered Sphagnum in it and mount the orchids to that as well. basically anything that can absorb a bit of water and the orchids roots can attach to. I've heard of people mounting orchids to broken pieces of large clay pots and on the outsides of clay pots.

Cedar Rapids should have a reptile shop if you check the yellow pages phone directory. most any wood you find at a reptile supply house will be fine mounts for orchids. reptile places sell by the pound. Twin cities reptiles sells small to very large pieces of cork bark at about 8 dollars per lb but Cork is light so look for a large thin piece-orchids grow on the cork not in, so it needn't be 3" thick 1"+ is fine for orchids.

Remember that having mounted orchids means they gotta be watered quite a bit if they aren't in a climate controlled greenhouse or growing chamber. I grow in chambers but I still add a pad of LFS moss between the plant and the mount to help with water retention when it is first attached.

I'll try and get some pics of my mounted plants soon.

Thanks for the reply. Yes we do have a Petco, but they do not carry cork bark. I bought a piece of drift wood last night and mounted my orchid on that. I put quite a bit of LFS between the wood and the orchid and I plan on watering it every day for at least the first several weeks. I know mounted orchids are much more maintinance, but I think they are cooler so it is worth the extra work.

T. Buck.

Another possibility for cork - at least for smaller plants - is the cork tiles that are sometimes used to make 'bulletin board walls' and the like.  They can be cut easily and layered to make a thicker mount.

A warning, though.  I was was told I could get the cork tiles at Home Depot but I couldn't find them by walking the aisles.  Naturally, I asked for help and was directed to the caulk aisle.  No matter what I did to explain what I wanted (even spelling 'cork' ), four different orange-aproned helpers insisted on sending me to the caulk!  So you're probably better off trying a different store...
biggrin.gif

ha ha! I actually had a pretty good orange apron help me find the right adapter for my sink & R/O last night I even commended him cos it's not often someone at home depot gives a _ _ _ _!
wink.gif

Wal mart has those square cork tiles in the dry erase board section. I looked at them but I still have a few pieces of natural cork left so I didn't get them but I've even heard of people gluing these to the back of their aquarium and attaching epiphytic aquatic plants like anubias and java fern on them. Have not tried it yet myself though but that says alot for their durability!

I was talking to a girl at the orchid shop who was not doing well with her mounted Brassavola nodosa due to the difficulty of keeping the mounted plants wet enough. The LFS will help but I grow mine in climate controlled enclosures with a fog making a humidity of 85-100% day and night I think she was just growing hers by some other plants. Even with watering it every day she can't get it to flower.

After mounting your plant it let it soak submerged in water for a good 30 min. from then on mist it heavily it morning and night (more if you think of it) and then soak it for a few minutes every week. It is good habit to always mist with a weak fertilizer spray (about 1/4 to 1/2 strength orchid fertilizer in R/O water) and do the weekly soak or flush with pure water to remove any mineral salt buildup (which should be very minimal anyway when using low dose fertilizer and R/O water).

If your plants don't seem to do well on the driftwood you can switch to something called a Hydro Log which is like green florist foam wrapped in LFS moss. this holds a lot of water and takes a good long time to dry out (in my terrariums anyway) you can order them from www.orchidweb.com many people preffer these to traditional cork panels because of their enormous water retention and that roots can really "dig in" to the soft green foam. But you must remeber these are heavy because they are full of water, whatever you hang it on should be very secure!

I agree Orchids look awesome grown on mounts but it takes a lot more diligence, I've fried a few myself when I first tried them mounted.

Ah, one more thought, is it possible you can set the driftwood so that part of it is touching water (like a pebble filled humidity tray-set the log on a tray full of wet pebbles)? The wood will gradually absorb the water and make it available (in minute amounts) to the roots and possibly raise the humidity in the immediate vicinity of the mounted plant as well It would help keep the LFS wet longer too. just don't let the plants roots sit in the water (of course).

Check out blackjungle.com you can buy cork bark scrap... i forget the details... but i got a box of assorted pieces (its not the flat stuff...) perfect for orchid/tillandsia mounting.

Back