What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Question for the orchid masters

Yes we could go back and forth. There is nothing wrong with a mature debate. It is how we learn from each other to see different points of view. No where does that indicate that I don't respect your opinion even though I fail to understand it.

I will leave the topic open, but since you would rather not carry on a mature conversation then neither shall I.

Tony

It seems as though this may be over... If it is, excuse my rebuttle...

Khai... You said: "Yes there are annuals in nature. but NO WHERE in nature are there several hundred yards of lets say impatients that have been fed chemical fertilizers and toxic pesticides and herbicides all their lives that simply die every season to leach all that has been fed to them back into the ground water."

Tell me, Do you eat beef?

Yes I do eat beef

I've wanted to try the ghost orchid for a while, but I'm not ready to yet. It's supposed to be a real challenge, I believe it's not particularly difficult to deflask, but tends to occasionally die off suddenly. I vaguely recall a discussion on usenet (rec.gardens.orchids?) on deflasking it, involving the person that sells them and a person who had good success deflasking them. You could try searching on google.com groups, it might turn up.

And about the home depot orchid argument. I'm not against mass producing orchids at all, I think it is a very good thing. I just don't understand why places like home depot can "sell" them, killing 4/5 of the plants, simply because light and water aren't given to any of the plants, ever. What bothers me even more, is when misleading information on how to grow plants is deliberately given (read the caresheets on cyclamen this time of year - most won't give good enough information to keep the plant alive for more than about 2-3 weeks, simply so people will buy more instead of just growing one for a longer time).

I am more than willing to carry on mature conversation. I was just unsure whether we should be straying so far from the original topic of conversation. We are after all Jacking Swords' thread. I see now that you are a mod, if you wish to continue, then continue we shall.

Id like to clarify that my statement was not meant imply I felt a lack of respect on your part.

Oh and by the way their are sources of chemical free beef.
There was actually a large barbeque dowtown Minneapolis this summer on the missisipi, nothing but hormone, antibiotic free, free range Beef!
It was great!
I will tell though I dont eat alot of red meat in general my stomach doesnt deal too well with it. Ulcer.
I love fish though, and theres plenty to be had in MN.

Peace

Is there a huge difference between eating beef raised on a farm, with chemicals, and buying posies raised on a farm, with chemicals? Sure, the former is a necessity of life, but who wants a barren back yard with no petunias or impatients anyways?

I'm sure every steak you buy isn't from 'organic' stock either... I maybe wrong of course... Even if it was, how safe is it's manure that leeches into water? Man put these cattle there to poop. Without man, they wouldn't be poopin there, and there wouldn't be manure leeching into streams and things... That, if I'm correct, is too, a pollutant...

You are correct that runoff from livestock is a contaminant.
Yes you are correct that at one time im sure i have consumed steak that was not entirely "organic". Not conciously.

Im not entirely against farm production, its the chemicals and procedures that are in use that cause the damage. Widespread acceptance and general lack of knowledge of health risks is also frightening.

Cancer rates among cigarette smokers would decrease nearly 50% if farmers would simply stop using fertilizers that derived P from rock phosphate also known as calcium phospahte.

Heres some Links.
http://tbbs.tobacco.org/Documents/dd/ddradioactivecigs.html
google search
http://www.google.com/search?....osphate

Peace
biggrin.gif

Cigarettes... *snarl* Me HATES...

yes they are horrible its a wonder they are even legal.

Peace
biggrin.gif

We agree?

Good god. Hehehe...

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (swords @ Dec. 26 2002,11:12)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Hi folks,

I'll have my new lowland terrarium setup with netting on back & sides for mounted orchids but I would like to know what some orchid genus suggestions might be for this environment:

320-400 watts flourescent light
70-90*F temps
80%+ humidity

The orchids do not have to be "miniature" or small (the tank is 6 X 6 X 3) but they will have to be mountable on orchid bark, driftwood, hydro logs or whatever and hung at the edges of these lights (they wouldn't be under the full blast of the lights as the Nepenthes will be there). I was just wondering if you orchid experts might have some suggestions on warm growing plants I could look into to decorate the walls. I already have a few Bulbophyllums to go in but am I limited to Bulbophyllums and Phalenopsis?[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
What the...? I'd say we've strayed a little (no cattle pun intended).

I don't mind the straying topic, it's interesting reading.

BTW I found a place to order a Bulbophyllym beccarii that will be an awesome plant! The flowers are fine too from what I'e seen in photos but I love that tree growing mushroom look of the leaves. I hear that the flowers smell like rotting meat but is it only if you put your nose to it like other bulbos or will it reek up the house?

Well... My appologies..
sad.gif

Re: the stink... Hahaha... (sorry, i had to laugh at that... heehehee)

It will reek in roughly a 10ft radius from the plant. It certainly isnt pleasant but I wouldnt liken it to rotting meat, its more like a rancid wet dog, its awesome,the scent doesnt travel much though.
When it flowers try to directly sniff it 5 times in a row.
This is definately a prime candidate for your lowland chamber they really love it hot and humid. Also Ample water during active growth, If youve examined the two at OL youll notice excessive amounts of sphagnum used as a base to mount them on. The coco fiber is put on lightly first, then the plant, then more coco fiber over the sphagnum and the around the rhizome. The purpose of the coco fiber is assist in water retention. Youll notice that the plant produces large amounts of roots all along the rhizome and in the bases of the leaves, so it may be beneficial to experiment with different media in the base of the leaves. Jerry used to add oak leaves.
I dont think it matters much if you can keep up with the watering during growth.

Peace
biggrin.gif

Yeah, OL is the first place I ever saw a B. beccarii and never did find out the name til someone on this board mentioned they got one and showed a picture, I think it was Fatboy. Then once I knew the name.. lookout!
biggrin.gif

I'm purchasing the smallest size available (still not very cheap) but hopefully that will allow it to quickly adjust & grow-in better in my specific conditions then shocking a huge plant and forcing it to cope with what I have. I notice neps grow better/faster when I start with them small than if I try and put in a bigger plant, the acclimation time is a lot longer it seems like.

I was not able to detect any smell from the other bulbos I have:
B. dayanum
B. lepidum
B. Elizabeth Ann x Louis Sander

Do the flowers only smell on day of opening or do they have a very slight fragrance throughout their lives?

What no smell from B. dayanum?! Shes pretty fishy!
B. E.A x C. L.S. rarley smells much.
B. lepidum is kinda like bad breath.
Youve got to smell B. carunculata theyre just like paint!
Usually throughout the life of the flower, they also generally smell more when they are exposed to light and warmer temps.
That sounds like the best way to go with B. becarrii as its not the easiest plant to grow. But it is still a Bulbophyllum so I think your biggest obstacle will be acommodating its growth pattern.

Peace

Can you be more specific about B. beccarii's growth cycle ?

Does it have to be warm & wet in summer and then cooler & dryer in winter or simply warm & wet all the time (no problem)?

Is it a fast grower if supplied with it's needs? I imagine those large thick plate like leaves need a good deal of time to develop, do they form more than one per year?

I bought the book Bulbophyllums & their Allies but for this one it doesn't say much and ends the entry with "something to enjoy at a botanical gardens" or a similar non-helpful to cultivation statement... thanks for letting me spend $35 on your book to learn nothing!
wink.gif

Do you know of any other Bulbophyllum books in English? As far as I know this one is the only one available specifically on the genus alone.

Sure thing,
B. beccarii seems to benefit from warm and wet conditions being in MN even in a green house things are cooler and drier in the winter so i couldnt say whether theyd prefer it warm and wet year round, Id imagine they get some amount of seasonal variation probably not much though.

Once the plants are established they do grow amazingly fast, even though they do take a bit to form the massive leaf, they can produce 2 or 3 a year.
This is one plant that absolutley needs high humidity otherwise its leaves will be stunted.

Yeah I was highly dissapointed with that book, espcially since i was anticipating its realease for soo long.
But what do you expect from timber press.
You gotta wonder what kind of writer will allow all the pictures in his/her book to be amassed in the center!
I dont remember if Bulbophyllums and their Allies is assembled in that manner but most of their other publications are.
And yes I too feel Like i wasted my money.

Peace
biggrin.gif

Yep all in one clump in the center.
Reminds me of the Natn'l Audubon books which have the same "plate" style photo pages.

I ordered a bunch of Pleurothallid & other miniature orchid books from the AOS. From their descriptions I have a feeling they will be arranged in the same style.

I've got a monograph on Mantid biology by Prete & Wells also has the photo section all amassed in the center and this one was made by the Johns Hopkins Univ. but I definately preffer a thoroughly illustrated text.

Yeah its most likely theyve got a bunch of cost cutters working for them. Unfortunately it makes for a horribly illustrated book that they still charge high prices for.
And then the books Suffers in the long run.

Peace
biggrin.gif

Back