What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dendrobium Eima/Emma white

Almost a year ago I bought an orchid for a friend. Within a couple weeks is was given back to me in an attempt to save it. I've done the best I could--it died back, but I repotted it and kept watering it. I haven't done anything special, just misted it when I remember and water it when it seems dry (sometimes distilled, sometimes tap). I have never fertilized it. Anyway, it is growing back (3 growths ranging from 1"-5") and seems to be doing quite well.

The problem is that I can't find out which specific type of Dendrobium this variant is. The label said Eima white...but I've seen it called Emma white as well. Regardless, nothing I can find specifically says what type of dendrobium this is, so I have no idea what specific care I should be giving it. Can anyone help me out?

I can't tell you anything about "Eima/Emma white"...there are so many nurseries and so many thousands of hybrid orchids it is very hard to get info on a specific one. You can try an internet search of the name though and that might turn up something. What is the flower shape? Like a typical dendrobium? Where did you buy the orchid from? If it was a place like Lowes, its most likely a typical dendrobium although occasionally I see them sell antelope forms. There are also nobile types but I don't even them too often even at nurseries.

I would recommend you fertilize it though. Its great you got it growing again and it might help it grow stronger with a little fertilizer. You can use an orchid or epiphyte fertilizer and follow directions. I usually water 1/4 strength at almost every watering...sometimes cutting back in the winter.

However...I defer to the orchid experts, which I am not.
smile.gif

Good luck with your plant.

Suzanne

Thanks Suzanne.  It was originally purchased at Lowes, and I don't remember anything special about the blossom (it's been almost a year since it last flowered).  I have tried doing a search, but all I find are pictures labeled with the hybrid name, never any info on the specific plant or type of Dendrobium.  I've heard it referred to as both Eima and Emma white...not sure which is correct, but the tab in the pot said Eima.  Here's a pic I found:

eimawhite.JPG

I'll look into getting some fertilizer, but I see so much seemingly conflicting information.  I've read in some places that I should get an "even" fertilizer (like 10-10-10 where all the numbers are the same)...or should I just get an all-purpose fert for now, something like Scott's?  I'm sure anything is better than nothing, and the plant has been doing incredible considering what it's been through.

Very pretty! I like the white dens. I have one called 'Blushing' that has just the faintest touch of pale pink in the throat...its just lovely.
smile.gif

I use a fertilizer that is especially for orchids. I can't remember the brand name at the moment. I've also heard of something called Epiphytes Delight but I've never seen that around here to try it.

You'll find that each orchid grower has a type of fertilizer they prefer. Maybe someone else here like Swords, Merlin, Tony or Fatboy can tell you what they prefer to use.

I use the 1/4 strength with every watering method, occasionally skipping it and giving a pure watering every so many weeks. When watering, I put them in the sink and use the sprayer with tepid water (no cold water). I spray each one thoroughly and the leaves also (avoiding the blooms if its blooming) so that it rinses off any dust or pests that might be around. I then apply the fertilizer water. I let them sit and drain for a bit. (It takes a long time to do this with 50+ orchids). After the leaves dry off I use a fungicide because some *&^%$#@ Lowes orchid I bought brought black spot into my collection so now I battle that all the time and sad to say I have lost a couple of dens to this horrible fungus. :-( Everyone once in a while I add a little Superthrive and epsom salt to the fertilizer water.

I hope you enjoy your orchid...and get more.
smile.gif
I have a number in bloom now with more spiking. I hope to get some pics up soon. Also have a new phragmipedium on the way (bought on eBay). eBay is a great source for reasonably priced orchids.

Suzanne

The type of fertilizer that you should use will depend on the growing medium of your plant.  A balanced fertilizer (like 10-10-10) is best for a non-bark based mix, unless the bark mix is very fresh.  Bark absorbs nitrogen as it ages, so you compensate by using a high nitrogen fertilizer, like 20-10-10.  As Suzanne implied, orchids don't need much fertilizer, so be careful not to over-feed.

I've tried to alternate fertilizer brands between waterings because each fertilizer has a different mix of trace elements -but there's probably as many opinions on fertilizers are there are on the 'perfect' orchid medium.  
smile.gif
 I'm currently using Dyna-Gro and Maxsea but any quality orchid fertilizer will probably do as well.

Enjoy your plant.
biggrin.gif

Merlin

Thanks for the input, guys.  The orchid was originally from Lowes and potted in some coconut husk type thing.  I repotted it last spring with some medium-size bark (Whitney Farms, I think).  With that potting medium I should go with something that is not balanced, correct?

Just out of curiosity, often when I water it and place it in the southern facing window, it gets quite a bit of direct light. I notice that the roots also turn green. Do they actually photosynthesize as well? Is this for maximum energy production in the wild?

Dendrobium "Emma White" is a phalaenopsis type hybrid dendrobium that is pure white (or nearly so). I happen to have one in my collection. Skylsdale, looks like that's what you have in the photo. When I searched on the web, I found a lot of listings for D. "Emma White," and a few for D. "Eima White." They may be the same, and perhaps a misspelling by Lowes sometime in the past has created some confusion about the name.

And, what being a phalaenopsis type means, from my experience, is it will survive just about anything.  But I have a hard time getting them to bloom.

They get upset about cool weather and will go into a many month funk if they're moved back indoors too late.  I used to think it was the exposure to cold, but now I suspect it might be the abrupt change from the cool, moist outdoors to the warm, dry indoors.

At the same time mine was busy once again blasting its incipient spike this fall, a number of other orchids were preparing to bloom.  The moral of the story is you can't assume mass market hybrids are easier bloomers than supposedly fickle species.

herenorthere, I'm experiencing that with it right now. I had a month or two of explosive growth...then just suddently stopped. I have it in a window, and I think when things really start to get cold around is when it started to slow down. It hasn't shown any signs of growth in about 2 months, but maybe when things warm up again it will start growing.

dendrobiums need tons of light to flower well...like 2000-4000 footcandles....den phals do slow down in the winter BUT they also slow down some to allow their growths to mature so they can bloom later.....and yes plants do get annoyed with massive changes in temp and humidity.....

on the fetilizer note...keep it weak and keep it regular

I use 20-20-20 at 1/4 strength and 15-30-15 at 1/4 strength

I feed with every watering

I use 3 feedings of 20-20-20 to every 1 of 15-30-15 for normal growth and development....

I use 3 feedings of 15-30-15 to every 20-20-20 when I need to promote root growth........it really works

Back