What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Vanda x rothschildiana

It was with great dismay that I discovered my greenhouse heating failed me a few days ago. Nothing much seems to have suffered the temp of -2c - thank goodness (most of the plants that would have done are well away in warmer places for the winter!).

Except my vanda rothschildiana in flower spike got hit. The leaves are yellow and a bit floppy - they look like they were killed by the temperature. The central column of the stem seems to be still green and firm, and the roots were dry so dont seem to have been damaged unduly.

What do you suggest I do? I was thinking of putting it in a plastic bag with some damp sphagnum indoors for a while, but would that just encourage rot? Am I better instead to keep it cool and hope for the best in spring time?

The plant has regularly experienced winter temps from 2C (min) to 10C (max) for days on end, and doesnt mind them. I fear the critical boundary has now been crossed, but I'd hate to lose this lovely plant.

It's gonna look pretty silly with all the lower leaves gone next year - kinda like a vanda palm tree. Is rooting the upper part a hard thing to do?

(I have now rectified the heating.)

Thanks for any ideas.

Cheers.

Rob.
http://www.rob-rah.com
udder7@hotmail.com

I can't think of any advantage in bagging it and you've pointed out the disadvantage. I would leave it and keep an eye on it for any sign of problems. But I've never dealt with this problem. Good luck.

LOL, same as Bruce this is not a problem we ever have to deal with either!

I would suggest keeping an eye on the leaves and stem and making sure they don't turn black and mushy. Cut any bits that do go like that off, ASAP.

Cheers, Troy.

Back