What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Anyone try growing orchids from flasks?

ive run across a number of flasks of orchids with 8 or so seedlings for sale on ebay. is it very hard to do? ive been growing orchids for about a year and a half and i figured my lowland/intermidiate Nepenthes chamber would be a good place to get the seedlings started. any comments?

Rattler

If you buy them in vitro, you would have to harden them off, etc, which can be hard.
smile.gif

It isn't hard.  The Troy Meyers Conservatory has good directions.  Enter the site, click on Informational Pages, then click on seedling care.  I wouldn't put newly deflasked seedlings in the chamber, but they'd be ready for it pretty quickly.

excellent webpage. thanks!

Rattler

I agree with herenorthere, it's not as hard as it sounds, so long as you find decent directions. I've had good results most times I have tried.

One thing to check is the shape of the flasks. Some sites will sell flasks that you cannot get the plants out without smashing the flask, which can be annoying. I hate picking glass out from amongst the seedlings. But, if you don't mind, it's not going to kill the plants, it'll just take a bit longer to deflask.
Some use baby food jars, which I consider preferable.
I can't say for sure, since it may have been other factors, but I had much worse luck the time I did have to break the flask. It could well have been because of the type of orchid, or care I gave them, though. Either way, I won't be buying from that seller, or anyone that sells that type of flask again. I did however still get a good amount of seedlings, so I'm not saying not to give it a try if it's that kind of flask, just that you'd probably rather know that before they arrive.

actually that had occured to me. i assumed i would have to break the glass. not a big deal. i found some full grown mini Catts that i think im going to try instead. thanks for the input and the website. its prolly only a matter of time before i break down and purchase a flask or two. might as well try them atleast once.

Rattler

As to breaking flasks, one can fashion a small hook from a wire hanger that will work rather well.
If the plants are still too big to be removed via the aforementioned method
the most safe means of breaking a flask is to wrap it in newspaper and smack the corner of the flask with a hammer, this usually reduces the amount shards pushed into the agar.
I then like to place the entire flask, plants and all into a plastic mesh basket (similar to what youd use to rinse fruits & vege's in) rinsing all of the agar from the root mass. I find it much easier to find and remove glass shards this way.

I sell literally hundreds of flasked orchids each week and deflask quite a few myself and we have to smash all of them as they come in ketchup bottles here in Indonesia.
What I do is break them in a bucket full of water, the plants generally float while the glass all sinks to the bottom which makes it easier to separate.

I've just updated my web site so you can see some of the kinds I have in my collection.

Last night I returned from our bigger plantation in Jakarta where I took loads of pics which I'm hoping to upload in the next day or two. If you want to see a LOT of orchids, wait a few days and check out the "Plantation" page on my site.

Cheers, Troy.

Bali Orchid Garden

Just updated the plantation page on the site.
We also have a second plantation where we grow Anthuriums (cut flower and foliage) and also 5 hectares of Heliconia.
I have to get some piccies of those yet and I'm too lazy to head out there.

Here's a pic of about 1/4 of the Dendrobium shadehouse with my daughter visible down the path.

sonia1.jpg

Cheers, Troy.

Aye Troy,
That is well lovely indeed....but do you have Nepenthes rajah growing in the ground in a plot like Rob Cantley does???

tounge.gif

Joe

That's really cool, Troy. Do you do much with strap leaf Vanda and Ascocenda?

Trent

Joe - no rajah as we are almost at sea level but I have got eustachya, albo-marginata, truncata, gracilis, rafflesia and a couple of others that I can't remember the names of that I got from Phill Mann all growing in the orchid garden - in the ground.
I've also got a couple of Amorphophallus titanum.

I'm close enough to go see most of the highlanders in their habitats any time I want, like next month!!

Trent - funnily enough those two are favs of mine.
the strap leaf is just now producing fruit for the very first time, PM me your mail addy and I'll post you a couple of you like.
We have several hundred Asco's, which I haven't photographed much, but will start to do shortly. Quite a few are in flower right now.

Cheers, Troy.

Well cripes, man! Post some pics of the neps in the ground and put that in the nep forum!!
Is Bali a good place to visit, BTW, or is it dangerous to.....Americans is the best way I can put it. Forgive my ignorance.

Regards,

Joe

Back