What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Can anyone recomend an orchid book or 2?

when i first started orchids about a year or so ago i picked up a book called "Orthos: All About Orchids" or something to that effect at Walmart or Home Depot or some store like that. actually a pretty good begineers/general info book for the $8 or so i payed for it. lots of good basic info on the common species. however ive now bought a few orchids that arent in itsuch as a cute lil Aussie button orchid, forget the latin but its labeled and hanging off one of my Nep pots enjoying the warmth and constant high humidity, nothing really rare or unusual but i would like more reading material. ive found LOTS of great sites online with info that i am lookin for. but even as young as i am i really enjoy thumbing through a good book during an evening and discovering something i didnt see in a previous reading. websites are great if you have a specific plant in mind but for good browsing on a boring afternoon, nothing beats a good well illistrated referance book along the lines of The Savage Garden. so keep that in mind to, nothing to technical. any recomendations on books that wont cost me an arm and a leg that would be a good next step? out of print is fine, i have no problem doing a lil digging online if im bored. any ideas?

Rattler

I picked up an orchid book at Border's on sale for around $6.00 some time ago. I was in there about 2 weeks ago and I saw more of them in stock. It's called Growing Orchids by Brain and Wilma Rittershausen. I found it to be a good book, and for the price, why not.

I think you're best off with an introductory book, like Ortho's, and then watching orchid forums. The problem I have with most orchid books is that they're written by serious orchid enthusiasts, who invariably have awesome growing conditions. I find I break more of their rules than I follow. Most of my techniques come from my own trial & error and lots of other people's experiences, as discussed on the forums.

i realize this. i dont always follow what i read but i like books. i have and Oncidium growing out of its pot in a window that shouldnt be recieving enough light for it, rarly fertilize it and its my most reliable blooming orchid. i dont tend to baby my plants except to get them established. anyways ive found one called The Illustrated Encyclopedia of Orchids by Alec Pridgeon (Editor) from a couple sites used for under $20 used. lots of good comments on it so i think i may pick it up. thanks for the comments and can you recommend some good orchid forums?

Rattler

I agree with the plug for Gardenweb's orchid forum, but watch for some contrary opinions to appear here. The owner has a control freak reputation and has antagonized or banished many members of this forum and the Orchid Source Forum. But I find the people there to be very generous with their advice and trades. The CP forum there can't touch this one and its people aren't as conservation minded as the folks here.

They're a good bunch in the orchid forum there.
Some really nice people.

Also a few that wild collect. Watch anyone trading native orchids or sundews carefully before trading with them, please.

Back