What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Phalaenopsis help a.s.a.p

• Thread starter Starman
  • Start date
Help!
I have just got a Phalaenopsis.
How do you look after it? I dont know anithing......
I dont know what type it is.
Thank you,
Dino

well the basic conditions ive found are if an african violet will grow there and prosper an Phal will too, bright artificial light, average humidity and let it dry slightly between waterings. that said i had one go absolutly nuts when i put it in my lowland nep tank and started growing like a weed: roots going everywhere, a surge in new leaf growth, i cant wait to get my new chamber built so i can put it back in.

Rattler

Do you spay it a few times a day?

I need a relply QUICKLY.
I have the orchid now, and I have little knoledge on how to look after it.

oops sorry forgot about this thread. no i dont mist mine but it prolly wouldnt hurt.

Rattler

Ummmm, do you use raiwater like CPs?

yep i only use RO water on my Neps and orchids. some of my desert succulents get tap water but thats it.

Rattler

O.K, thank you.
smile.gif

Do you water from above?
And how do you water it?(I read somewhere that you water by immersing
in water-bath)

Should I re-pot it?
Its in a see-through pot, most of its roots have reached the
very bottom and some roots are starting to curl around
the bottom of the pot. And, what containers and soil are the best for this
Phalaenopsis orchid?

i use plastic pots and straight orchid bark for MOST of my orchids unless they are mounted. my Vannila and one of my Phals are in a mix of orchid bark and sphagnum, the Vanilla cause it prefers it and the Phal as an experiment. for Phals plain orchid bark is prolly best. if its not currently in bloom you could repot it. i use overhead watering exclusivly for potted orchids. i immerse my mounted orchids sometimes but if i did that to anything planted in orchid bark the bark would prolly float so ive never tried it. im surprised someone else hasnt responded to this thread.....i must be giving all the right info
smile_n_32.gif

Rattler

Ooooooh, I want a vannila orchid!
Does it have pretty flowers?
Can it grow as same as Phaleonopsis orchids?
Whats the scientific name for a vannila orchid?
Can you actually harvest the vannila pods?
Thank you,
Dino
smile.gif

i just recieved it as a unrooted cutting about 4 weeks ago. mine is Vanilla plainifolia, commercial Vanilla, but there are quite a few species. mine is the one Vanilla extract comes from. Vanilla orchids are true vines that generally need to be ATLEAST 8 feet long to bloom, or so ive been told. mine is only about 9 inches long at the moment. i plan on training it around a tomatoe cage so it doesnt take up to much room in my lowland nep chamber. being as is is actually terrestrial not epiphatic it needs a "heavier" mix which is why i have sphagnum in the pot and some ppl add peat too. the flowers arent outstanding, usually white or a greenish white. i got it for the novalty. you can harvest the "beans" but i believe they are distilled to make vanilla extract and my understanding it that its a royal pain hence the high price of the pure extract. on pure Vanilla extract in stores you often see brandy on the label. so far it doesnt seem to dificult i believe they like high humidity so i put it in with my neps. it rooted easily and quickly for me.

Rattler

Oh no.......:( I didnt know it was a vine.
Are there any non-vine vannila orchid types?
And, do you know a good supplier of orchids in the U.K?(Europe U.K, NOT
the U.k in america!!)

all the species i know of are vines. but like i said i was going to train it around a tomatoe cage which will keep it more compact. i dont know of any one selling it in the UK but being that your country has one heck of a history in orchids you should be able to find someone who has it. its not extreamly common here in the states cause for such a large plant the flowers arent very spectacular so alot of ppl just dont grow it. about the best way to get one is like i did and find someone with a large plant that is looking for a trade for something you have and get a cutting. like i said it roots easy. there is a varigated form of V. plainifolia that is different shades of green that i would really like to get a cutting of if someone has it.

Rattler

heres a pic i found on the web of plainifolia:

vanilla-planifolia.jpg

No,no.
I want an orchid supplier, I do NOT care if
they sell vannila orchids or not. I just want
another orchid for my desk, so I dont want that
vannila orchid anymore.

i dont know any off hand in the UK but another good one if you want something different from a Phal try Oncidiums they are easy to find and grow. mine is the most abused of all my orchids and i blooms like clockwork every 3-4 months. household humidity and bright light along with regular watering and it does fine. mini Cattleyas are also nice. i have a couple really cool mini orchids but they grow best in my lowland terrarium and prolly wouldnt like living on a desk.

Rattler

Back