What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

3 new mislabeled orchids.

I found 3 new awesome looking orchids at my grocery store today. They were all labeled 'Phalaenopsis'.
Here are some pics of them, maybe someone can help me out with what they are?

First one, here's the flower:
Tobaica_003.jpg

And a pic of the leaves, as well as the basal shoot (if that's what they're called with orchids)
Tobaica_005.jpg

Here's the second one's flower (sorry about the poor focus)
Tobaica_006.jpg

And the entire plant:
Tobaica_007.jpg

Third one's flower:
Tobaica_010.jpg

Profile:
Tobaica_014.jpg

Very pretty speckled leaves aswell:
Tobaica_011.jpg

So does anyone know what these are? I can't be having with all this mislabeling
smile.gif

Thanks! /Quensel.

WHOA if im not mistaken, those are slipper orchids
u found those at your supermarket?!
WTF
those are awsome
biggrin.gif

Hellz

Why, thanks!!

Yes I got them at my supermarket, they were about 10$ a piece, and there were like 10+ more varieties, including all-white ones, and other awesome stuff...

Maybe I should get some more? After all, they're cheap, just came in from the nursery today, and extremely pretty!

But still; anyone have any tips as to what they are, species-wise?

/Quensel

only ten bucks each? that's a steal!!

those are paphs/phrags (sry, i cant really tell you the difference.. i think paph. is a genus and phrags are a hybrid of to genus?

if i were you, id buy em all, and sell lots on ebay
biggrin.gif

or bettr yet, trade me here for cps, id trade for one of those if i had anything worth em
Hellz

Those are some kind of Papiopedilum or Phragmipedium (two different, but related, genus). The first one is a novelty vinicolor (one color) hybrid of some sort, probably has some P. callosum in the ancestry (most of the hybrids do). Really easy to grow, if kept in shade, and somewhat damp (they don't like to dry out much, but can't sit in water like Phrags can). The second one I can't identify, it's eather a phrag or a multifloral paph of some sort (most likely), it'll probably like more light than the first one. That one is DEFINITELY a deal at $10.
The third one is also a Paph callosum hybrid of some sort.

The white ones were most likely Paph. x maudiae, another callosum hybrid.

They're really underrated orchids. So easy to grow compared to most orchids, especially if you have a relatively cool house.

Thanks for all the positive feedback!!

Well, I couldn't stay away, so I went back and got 4 more!  
smile_n_32.gif

Here's the first one:
Paphs_013.jpg

Profile of the 2 flowers:
Paphs_014.jpg

Numero 2:
Paphs_005.jpg

Basal:
Paphs_006.jpg

third:
Paphs_007.jpg

Fourth:
Paphs_011.jpg

Speckled
Paphs_015.jpg

In number 3, you can see that the petals look kinda droopy, and number 4 we had to hold up in order to get a good clean shot, it was very droopy too.
This is, I realized when repoting, that they have almost no roots to speak of.

Can this be helped in any way? maybe using a rooting hormone of some sort?
Any tips would be most welcome!

Many thanks! /Quensel

Edit: Oh, and I'm really sorry for the large pics, I cant seem to get the resolution lower on my cam... I'll try resizing the next batch.

Wow, these are fabulous! What an awesome deal you got.

i REALLY like the last one with the undulating leaves!

There is a VERY rare slipper orchid in this country.(Europe england) It is called the ladies slipper, and it is very rare. It has become so rare, now I think people would be doing the right thing if they dig it up, propagate it, then put it back in the wild.

I have one of those pink, furry ones from a DIY store in the UK, but I don't know what precise ancestry the hybrids have, or whether they have names. I believe that all of your plants are hybrid pahiopedilums, and not phragmipediums (which are much rarer in cultivation, usually larger growing and often quite expensive). All of them will grow in diffused light or partial shade. They are mostly lithophytes and terrestrial growers (though a complex hybird may involve epiphytes too)and generally want a compost similar to that on forest floors, mostly bark with some peat and maybe leafmould or ground bark. Water when the soil dries out. They dont form many roots, which are thick, and dark brown, and the plants are reasonably drought-tolerant, and cope well with low humidity as houseplants. They appreciate a winter minimum of around 55F. Mine flower anually with no special treatment.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]There is a VERY rare slipper orchid in this country.(Europe england) It is called the ladies slipper, and it is very rare. It has become so rare, now I think people would be doing the right thing if they dig it up, propagate it, then put it back in the wild.

That's cyprepedium calceolus you are talking about, still quite common in other countries. It's available in the horticultural trade in the UK from tissue culture. Digging up wild plants would reduce the genetic variety in the wild. It's also illegal, as is reintroducing plants without a license.

i been looking for those types for a while. the ones are phaphiopedelium and the other one might be a phrag

Back